SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92 compact vs P229
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92 compact vs P229 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have experience with both? I have a 229s in 357 and 9mm and was thinking about the Beretta. Possibly winter carry but mostly just to shoot and enjoy. Thanks.
-whisky

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 373 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig fits my hand better, carries more ammo and is more pleasant to shoot for me. That said, the Beretta is an interesting range toy that I'm glad I bought.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2728 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I bought my Beretta 92s (Compact, Cent, and 92A1) simply because I like the platform, there are a bunch of parts / aftermarket for them, and while they aren't my carry guns of choice, I'd have no problem using them for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have both. For the slight increase in size, the 229 is a better carry gun for the reasons already stated. Still love them both, though.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7933 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have both. P229 sees more carry and range time.
Can’t go wrong with either- Good luck !

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
If Sigs vanished from the earth, I'd carry Berettas.

The 92 Compact is near perfect. I regret selling mine. I picked up a P228 afterward. For some reason, I could never get the thing to group. Five P226's hit what they're pointed at, but a new P228 just did not line up for me. Gone.

Wished I had the 92 Compact back.

Never wanted a P229, especially in .40. Got offered one in 9mm and didn't want the weight it would bring. But the price was right - so why not?

I'd been missing out for years. I'm going to pick up a second one as soon as one surfaces for a decent price.

That said, I plan on acquiring another 92 Compact at some point.

There is no wrong choice here.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Also have both. Enjoy looking at the Beretta and taking it to the range occasionally but the 229 Classic Carry goes into my briefcase every day. Better grip, accuracy and capacity.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Neither is very “compact”. The P229 is a bit easier to carry as the controls are more svelte.

Both are accurate, durable, proven and reliable. Value goes to the Beretta.

Really comes down to preference. I have and like both but I think I like the Beretta more. Not because of split times or tactical reasons or any real measurable reason. I just really like my 92 compact both shooting and aesthetically.

I had mine out recently and had a blast

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a Beretta Compact for quite a while and found it bulkier than a 229. I shot the 229 better too.
Its either or. Both are excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years back i owned a p228 and later a 229. They shot and carried well. Today though i have 4 p226's, and no 228/229's. I like the p226 that much more. I shoot it better, it conceals fine.

When the sale for the compacts was posted, i was intrigued. I picked one up. I dry fired it a few thousand times to be come familliar with the pistol. I have never owned a 92 series, or shot one prior. After dry fire i tested the trigger pull with my lyman scale. It came in at just over 9lbs da 4lbs sa.. there was quitw a bit of stacking and grittyness.

Before i shot it, i installed a LTT trigger in a bag, kind of. I took their trigger bar, and hammer and polished my stainless hammer and inox trigger bar to match. I took it a slow, a good 3 hours of work. I had never done anything like that before. I installed,tested, polished more till it was nearly as good as the LTT trigger in a bag.

After all that was done, well i dryfired it a few thousand times to be come familliar with it. Put it on the lyman. It averaged out using 13#main spring 5.8lbs da, 2.2lbs sa, with no stacking. Super smooth trigger.

I have shot about 600 rounds through it. It points and shoots well. It groups excellently. I have been carrying it for a week now, it might be my favorite carry gun for a while.

For me there is no comparison between it and a 228/229. I probably wont own a 228/229 again.

As it sits now

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I don't have the compact, I have a Centurion tuned by Wilson, and a P229.

I carry both AIWB, the Beretta is a bit thinner, more elegant feeling to me, but both are a pleasure to carry and shoot.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am unable to handle one around here. I may just say screw it and get one straight from WC.

posted Hide Post
I have longer fingers and my thumbs always land on the controls of Sigs.

My last go round with Sigs, I used a thumbs down grip like I was running a revolver. This cured my control interference concerns, but I still shot CZs and Glocks better so the Sigs were traded off.

I regret having parted with my Berettas, but did so before they released the G conversion kits. I had found the safety on a couple times unintentionally. This was unacceptable in a carry gun for me, so I moved on.

Barring that one issue which is easily remedied today, I really liked my Berettas. They were accurate and reliable.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the Wilson Combat trigger compare to the LTT trigger?

posted Hide Post
Sort of the same, I have a Beretta 92FS Centurion and a M11A1. Both are very accurate, 15 rounds each. If I was to keep only one, it would be the Sig. Better double action, fits my hand better and seems more robust.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
IMHO, you have to spend a lot on a WC system to surpass an LTT TJIB...
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
How does the Wilson Combat trigger compare to the LTT trigger?

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 229 in 40/357 and a 92Compact INOX. I prefer the 92 Compact. The main things I don't like is the fixed front sight that isn't dovetailed and the F-type decocker. The latter can be changed relatively easily; the former not so much. The INOX compact 92 has an M9A1 style frame with rail and more aggressive checkering on the front and backstraps similar to my M9A3 and LTT Elite, which in my opinion are superior features compared to my P229.

If you're looking at Berettas, have you considered the PX4 full size or compact?

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried hard to love the Berettas but I find the SIG P series so much easier to shoot.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:

If you're looking at Berettas, have you considered the PX4 full size or compact?

For some reason I like the feel of metal frame much more than polymer. Held a 92 compact yesterday. Seemed to balance a lot differently than CZ and Sigs. A little heavier at the barrel end. But might help with recoil.

posted Hide Post
I think that you'd have a better comparison if you installed a SRT in the P229. It's hard for me to imagine a better double action/single action trigger.

Posts: 92 | Registered: February 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post