SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any practical purpose to getting into 44 mag?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any practical purpose to getting into 44 mag? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
For some reason, the idea of 44 mag started percolating in my head. But I've never had a revolver even. And I thought I could get a Henry Big Boy X rifle to use the same ammow as the revolver. But it's still a handgun caliber. But apparently, people use it to hunt game as opposed to a 223 / 556. But I don't hunt either. But if it's good enough for deer, it should be good enough for a home defense. But that's what I got the AR rifle for. And if I did go into 44 mag, then I've have to decide on which revolver.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because .44's are fun! Wink
They are nice little rounds, not only in Mag but in .44 Special as well. Enough of a variety of rounds for anything you want to do with it. You don't hunt, and nothing wrong with an AR for home defense, think of the .44 as a backup.

Nothing wrong with a nice S&W or Ruger!

Somewhere down the line, probably my retirement present to myself, I'm looking at a nice .357 set, S&W 19 if I can find someone to case harden it, and a Winchester/Remmington/Henry to match. I have enough of a variety of guns to do whatever I need to do, this is a pure "Want", not a "need".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8357 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Desert Eagle is the bell of the ball at our shoots.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have owned and shot a few 44 Mag pistols and while they are fun for a few rds its one of few pistol rds which I felt if I continued to shoot that I was going to do extreme damage to my hands.

They are also very good at clearing the range around you. I would wear foam ear plugs with muffs over them and it still wasn't enough especially indoors.

I would recommend you borrow or rent one first to see if the itch remains after 50rds. Your hands may not agree with your want.

Posts: 18046 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Do you camp or hike, particularly in places where there are big animals? I have a 2 3/4" S&W Model 69 and a 16" Marlin 1894 to go with it. The 69 is my backpacking gun for trips into places where stuff lives that might want to eat me. The 1894 is going to be the camper gun. Am I ever going to actually need to use them? Hopefully and probably not...in years of doing this I've never been attacked while camping, but just like urban concealed carry, it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

One thing about the .44...it really begs to be reloaded for. You can tune the loads specifically to your needs, and it's MUCH cheaper than buying factory ammo. By casting my own bullets and reloading I can load .44 Mag for about the same price as factory 9mm, so I can afford to shoot it pretty frequently. That would not be the case if I was buying off the shelf.

ETA pic, because we're not going to convince you to buy one without some photos Big Grin!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8611 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Someone once wrote that when you buy a 44 Mag from its owner, you always get half a box of cartridges with it!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20322 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I had a S&W .44 Mag long ago. It was fun to shoot as long as I only put a few rounds through it at a time. After those few rounds, I didn't really enjoy shooting it. I traded it for another gun, but it was so long ago that I forget what.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Absolutely you should get one or two, or five or six... Very versatile round from mild to wild especially if you reload. Good for 2 legged, 4 legged and no legged creatures of the Arizona deserts. Hollow points, hard cast or snake shot, it all works.

My Smith 629 Mountain Gun is probably the best compromise for carry vs. shootability. My 329 is absolutely painful to shoot full magnum loads through but carries like no other big bore revolver. And I absolutely love my 5" full lug barrel 629 Classic for shooting heavier loads.

As far as loads, I have my, "Cowboy Load" of a 240gr lead SWC at around 900 fps that's easy to shoot, even in my 329. I've got a load worked up with 185gr JHP's that comes out a 7-1/2" barreled Bisley at 1,750 fps with a 5' diameter flameball of a muzzle flash that is guaranteed to make Tactical Teds vacate adjacent lanes at the indoor range. Some stout 240 JHP's and very stout 305gr lead hardcast loads.

It's fun, it's versatile and every red blooded American should own at least one...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Desert Eagle loads will rattle you clean back to your childhood in a revolver while the Desert Eagle just laughs them off.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned the S&W 629 Classic 6.5 inch for many years. Bought it for deer hunting, but I don't hunt deer anymore and haven't shot it in some time. As others have said it's fun to shoot, but with magnum loads is very loud and has quite a kick to it.

It's a fun gun when ouside with a few friends to take turns shooting it, especially with a younger first timer.

Posts: 81 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 18, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Because you ran out of .50s for the Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Have the Model 29-2, fun to shoot, best to shoot specials, magnums are hard on everything, mostly the people nearby.

Do want one of these, they are making them again.. Link my Day...

Posts: 23517 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yes you should get at least one. Because.

I've owned one thing or another in that caliber since the early 90s, and they've all been a hoot.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I like the 44 mag.
I shoot a Dan Wesson, It has easily interchangeable barrels.
I have, 1 1/2"- 4"- 6"- 8"-10" barrel sets. I also have a DW 445 Supermag, like a 44 magnum on steroids, requires you to load your own as factory ammo is not available. It accepts the DW 44mag barrel sets.

The gun is heavy, made for IHMSA shooting,( 40 rounds minimum per set) and made robust enough to stand up to the recoil.

The 445 SuperMag's recoil is about the same as my 460 S&W.
The option to shoot 44special, 44 MAG, OR 445 SuperMag out of the same gun is a nice option.

I could shoot 44mag. out of this gun all day long or as long as my bank account has money available for ammo.Reloading is almost mandatory if you want to feed it often.

A 44 mag. lever action rifle is tempting to go along with the handgun.

Posts: 4634 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I love the 44 Magnum. Probably my most favorite cartridge to shoot and reload.

I started handgun hunting 30+ years ago with a scoped 9.5” Ruger Super Redhawk. I’ve since added a 7.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk, 14” scoped T/C Contender and more recently a Henry Big Boy lever action.

My local gun store had a 5.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk that is calling my name!!

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Someone once wrote that when you buy a 44 Mag from its owner, you always get half a box of cartridges with it!

RMD

Way back when, after the movie "Dirty Harry" came out, that statement was close to the truth.

In actuality, you'd generally see a box with 45 cartridges in it. The first owner shot 5 and called it a day.

I bought one that was exactly that way back around 1976. A Ruger Super Blackhawk that I own to this day. It was my woods bumming handgun when I lived in Alaska, it and a hot loaded Marlin 1895 .45-70.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Practical - bear protection. Most think .44 mag is the minimum for an anti-big-bear weapon, but that is its niche. Or silhouette shooting - do people still do that.

And even if you don't have those as reasons, why not?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reality? Probably not. Would I get one anyway? Absolutely. A lever gun and a wheelgun in 44 seem like something I would love to do.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had .41 and .44 mag handguns for at least 40 years. I doubt if I have shot 25 magnum loads in that period. I have magnum loads, both factory and reloads, however I have had no need for them.

I reload for loads that are accurate and pleasant to shoot. They are probably equal to factory .45 Colt loads. I have no doubt they would be up to any situation I might find myself in since I don't live in bear country.

Yes, you should get a .44 magnum if you want one. It can be loaded down to be pleasant to shoot. If you have need for a full power load, they are available.

I also have a .44 magnum carbine and it makes a fine companion.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Yes, 41 Magnum does make a good alternative to the 44 Magnum.

Ammo may be limited in some areas, but 41s are also an excuse reason to get a Desert Eagle. Wink

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post