SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Shelburne VT fire destroys home and barn, "shell casings were flying 30-40 feet from the building"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shelburne VT fire destroys home and barn, "shell casings were flying 30-40 feet from the building" Login/Join 
posted
https://www.wcax.com/content/n...burne-home-barn.html

Starting at :39 in the video you can hear the ammo popping off. 30-40 feet seems long for small arms, maybe some of our first responders can comment.

Fire destroys Shelburne home, barn

By Cat Viglienzoni | Posted: Tue 4:48 PM, Jan 08, 2019 | Updated: Tue 6:43 PM, Jan 08, 2019

SHELBURNE, Vt. (WCAX) A fire in Shelburne Tuesday sent smoke and flames shooting into the sky. The plume of smoke was visible for miles over the treetops.

A home and barn were destroyed but, thankfully, no one was hurt.

Shelburne Deputy Fire Chief John Goodrich said crews were called just after noon to 2100 Harbor Road, and when they got to the residence, they saw heavy black smoke.

As crews battled the flames, they started hearing the sound of ammunition popping. Goodrich says those were in a large stockpile of various sizes and exploded when heated.

"We have no idea what was in the barn or in the building. I do know that all the little pops were ammunition and some of those shell casings were flying 30-40 feet from the building," Goodrich said.

Multiple departments spent hours knocking the fire down.

Goodrich said no one was home at the time and no pets were there either.

Firefighters were still working there late Tuesday afternoon and they expected the cleanup to take hours.

The property is quite large and the actual fire was about half a mile or so from the road. That means firefighters had to run some 3,800 feet of water line up to fight the fire. Goodrich said he's only ever seen them run a line farther once before. And that was actually to another fire he says was on this same property two years ago.

He said at one point during Tuesday's fire they pulled back because there was a danger to firefighters due to lack of water.

No word yet on what caused the fire. But Goodrich said nothing seems suspicious at this time.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
30-40 feet seems long for small arms,

Probably not an exaggeration, but this is an excellent video about the dangers posed by detonating small arms ammunition. The fire part starts about 13:00.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The turnout gear and mask any FF wears on the scene of a fire is more than enough protection from burning small arms ammo as the vid Sigfreund posted shows clearly.
(The grenade manufacturing facility fire was much more exciting!)

Quote: during Tuesday's fire they pulled back because there was a danger to firefighters due to lack of water.
^^This^^ is WAY more dangerous to FFs.
Ammo? Pffft, who cares. Put out the fire and as always, the danger goes away.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
The video linked by sigfreund is an excellent source of information. I'd just like to add that the cases flying 30 feet, while possible, is still not really dangerous. When a cartridge "pops off" due to heat, the bullet and the case fly apart, but the bullet has more mass, so it moves less, and the lighter case flys away, but not at high velocity. If there is a gun with a round in the chamber, then that would pose a real risk.

Watch the video to learn all you need to know.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Probably not an exaggeration, but this is an excellent video about the dangers posed by detonating small arms ammunition. The fire part starts about 13:00.

Great video.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Great video.

Ahhhh....Jiffy Pop!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4556 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
4000 feet of water line? WTF? Who has that much hose? How many hours does it take to run that much line? And the second fire in 2 years? And the homeowner was “conveniently” not there? Insurance fraud.

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It’s been enough decades I think I’m O.K. now. As a kid in the remote woods we would occasionally throw some rounds in the fire, mostly 22 I think.

It really didn’t fly far, as we hid behind a tree.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back I was helping teach a handgun class on our outdoor range. After the class was finished, we loaded all the used targets and garbage in the open wood stove and lit it on fire. As it was rather cold out, we were standing around the wood stove when there was a loud pop and one of the guys went "ow". Turns out that there was a loaded 38 Special round in the garbage and it cooked off. The case hit my friend in the leg about 3 feet from the stove. It left a small welt on his leg, but that was about it....

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
quote:
4000 feet of water line? WTF? Who has that much hose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNfICuBUrI

Depends on your demographics. Picking it up is a different story.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first response would be to call BS but the firefighters do say they saw shell casings.

Some of the older constructed houses use nails to secure the siding. When heated, they pop and sound like shots fired.

We used to chuck rounds into the burn barrel at the range only because the rounds had been found on the ground and left in the weather for who knows how long. They were all pistol rounds and were contained inside the burn barrel.

I'm guessing the rounds going off in the video were rifle rounds.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post