SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Snakeshot Trial: CCI Pest Control 44SPL/44MAG 'Big 4' versus 'Shotshell'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snakeshot Trial: CCI Pest Control 44SPL/44MAG 'Big 4' versus 'Shotshell' Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Snakeshot Trial CCI Pest Control 44SPL/44MAG 'Big 4' versus 'Shotshell'

Essentially, #4 shot vs. #9
From CCI:
Big 4™ loads extend the range and capabilities of these downsized shotshells, thanks to a payload of No. 4 lead shot. The resulting energy and patterns enable Big 4 loads to take down larger pests at longer distances, making them even more useful.

Targets printed on 8 1/2 x 11" copy paper posted at 10 feet, S&W 329PD 4" barrel, Two rounds of each fired single action, 'combat' sight picture at the center of 8 1/2" x 11" paper.
T1, 'Big 4': 12 hits, 2 misses, 2 wad hits

T2, 'Big 4': 14 hits, 9 misses, 2 wad hits

T3, 'Shotshell': 35 hits, 63 misses, 2 wad hits

T4, 'Shotshell': 52 hits, 57 misses, 2 wad hits

Comments:
Trial limited to two rounds of each cartridge at one distance, ten feet.

A person might extrapolate that the #4 shot patterns would be even sparser at 12, 15, 20 feet.

N=2 is not statistically significant but the number of hits with the smaller shot size is more impressive.
The POI of the cups & wads are almost consistent and are on the snake. Cool.
The trial does not evaluate penetration and KE delivery on a live target, so CCI's claims for the Big 4 might prove true. Or not.
More target testing may be done with large backers to capture the wider spread misses, which could be important in a real life situation if your dumb dog has a rattler at bay.
If your honey badger has a cobra at bay, neither the honeybadger nor the cobra would give a shit. ­­­­­­­­­­­­

https://tinyurl.com/shotshell-info

Posts: 16161 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I load 160gr of 9-shot in 45 Colt. Pretty effective at 15'.

Posts: 20540 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Half again the payload weight of #9 in .44SPL and a really nice pattern, Gustofer.

How do you construct the loading, components, I mean?

Posts: 16161 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, that is definitely impressive. I'm also curious how you put your loads together, and what gun/barrel-length you're shooting them out of.

I have some .45 Colt shot shells that a buddy made using a couple of gas checks to sandwich the shot. They work decently well, but the only platform I have for launching it is a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, and while I have carried it in the woods I've got better options these days. I'm still always watching for a decently priced, short-barreled .45 Colt double-action revolver.

Posts: 9175 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8100044384

7.5gr of Unique, thin cardboard (cut with a sharpened case and tamped down with a dowel), shot, then a 45 cal gas check. As I mentioned in that thread, the gas checks are kind of a pain to get and keep seated right, but the 44 cal ones were too small. So, I just made a little bigger bell and they work great. Haven't had the opportunity to get a snake with them yet, but I've taken a number of squirrels and chipmunks who got a bit too brave. I have a 4 3/4" SAA.

This is the only caliber I've loaded them in as I've got a bunch of CCI ones in 44 and 45ACP. I was just never able to find any in 45 Colt.

Posts: 20540 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff to know, gents. Have always had some CCI pest stuff in 38/357, and recently picked up a 44 Spl. for trail/camping use wanting more shot as one reason. Guess I should go get a .45 Colt?

(ETA; brother has a .45 Colt Redhawk and reloading gear. I'm leaning towards a SAA copy).

Posts: 3377 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I use the CCI 44 Special/44 Magnum Pest control cartridges with the #9 shot. 1/4 oz of #9 shot. CCI item # 3744.

I typically use a .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 2.750" barrel or a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4.625" barrel.

The shorter barrel revolver will give the tighter pattern.

I have a Morton Building type barn structure at my home. Wooden post and beam construction with the steel roof/walls. Most of the interior surfaces are uninsulated steel.

I've had gray squirrels get inside the building on several occasions and they are real tough to convince for getting them to move out of the barn on their own.

I wear wrap around eye protection, electronic hearing protection, load up one the revolvers with the above mentioned cartridges, and go squirrel hunting inside the barn.

I tried the 38 Special/357 Magnum version, and with a direct hit the squirrel "squeaks" and keeps on running. Memory says that 38/357 load has #11 or #12 shot.

The 44 version is a lot more effective at the distance typically found inside the barn, likely never more than ten feet.

The 44 loading leaves lead smears on the inside of the steel panels and leaves no dents or perforations in the steel.

You do need to be careful aiming at times if the squirrel is near wiring.

For my usage, I would be concerned about perforating the steel walls/roof with the #4 shot.

But for those using them outdoors and having a need for that type of cartridge, it's a wonderful choice with the larger shot size.

Thank You for doing the review.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1573 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post