SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Is there any meaningful difference between Speer & Federal 62 grain .223 ammo for HD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any meaningful difference between Speer & Federal 62 grain .223 ammo for HD Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
So my local fun store has both of the following in stock for a decent price:

For home defensive purposes, is there a meaningful difference between the two and/or should I just buy XM193? Google has a million opinions. I'm just wondering what the Sigforum brain trust thinks? Standard AR15 16" barrel with 1/9" twist will be the host gun.

Posts: 12573 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You’re fortunate to have such choices where you live. Here in flyover country we are lucky to find 55gr fmj.

I have no special experience but would feel well equipped with either of those.

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asking so I can learn, not to derail this thread.

Is there an advantage of soft point over hollow point when it comes to .223 HD ammo?

Posts: 3326 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d have to think either of those pictured would be fine choices. The usual caveat of making sure they cycle fine in your gun, then suitable accuracy. No need for bench accuracy.

I’ve done a fair bit of prairie dog shooting, for that one prefers very frangible bullets. Those type of bullets, like a V-Max, or Blitzking would NOT be an ideal bullet for home defense loadings. These type of bullets(and others) have rapid expansion.

Posts: 6382 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Based on reviews and my own research, I chose the Speer 62 grain (originally 64 gn.) Gold Dot Soft Point ammunition for my agency’s duty ammunition. Part of the decision was based on its demonstrated performance through automotive windshield glass. Bullets without bonded cores tend to not do very well through a tough barrier like that. Based on the gelatin tests of the ammo it also expands readily and delivers its energy efficiently even when barriers aren’t involved. The M193 I tested did not do nearly as well through windshields, but it would be fine for HD.

All that being said, virtually any 223 Remington/5.56mm load that goes bang when fired will be more than adequate for home defense against someone is actually breaking in thinking to find several kilos of heroin and/or a huge cash pile. That includes lightweight “varmint” type bullets that are generally scorned for defensive purposes because of their limited penetration. The idea that a home invader who’s looking for easy pickings won’t be deterred with several torso shots with any ammunition (or even just the sound of gunfire) strikes me as very odd. If that has ever happened, I would be fascinated to learn the details (actual ones, of course, not “I heard …”).

If, however, “home” defense involves stopping a mob that’s moving down the street torching every house on the block and beating the fleeing occupants to death, then I’d prefer something with more punch like the Speer GDSP in case there were any barriers involved.

As for the bullets of the two loads you ask about, I believe that Speer and Federal are part of the same company and I strongly suspect that the bullets are all the same. But I don’t know for certain.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thank you!

Posts: 12573 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BB61 - I believe they are at least similar if not the same, like sigfreund says. Partly because the Federal is marked bonded, and this is a word used a lot in the Gold Dot advertising.

I prefer soft point ammo rather than M193 fmj for hunting animals.

sigarmsp226 - open point/hollow point rifle ammo is usually a target round rather than self defense.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig operator - Thank you. Just learned something that I did not realize. Since most home defense pistol ammo is HP, I assumed the same for rifle ammo. Appreciate your reply. Mark

Posts: 3326 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post