SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Question About Ammo Cartridge Appearance: Almost “Burnt”?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Ammo Cartridge Appearance: Almost “Burnt”? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Just got an email from this supplier and I’ve noticed that some of the rifle ammo like this 5.56 they are selling has a strange look around the neck of the cartridge. Almost looks like it was blow-torched or something?

What is that exactly?

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Looks like mine does when I anneal it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flash has it right. Have some new 5.56 Lake City brass that looks just like that.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Nothing new or strange.
The burnt look is from the annealing process. Annealing softens the brass and removes the stress from being shaped. The brass would be too brittle from work hardening without being annealed. To anneal you heat up the metal and let it cool slow.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, discoloration from the annealing process.

Military type ammunition usually looks like that because the manufacturers don’t need to polish off the discoloration as they do for ammunition generally sold to civilian consumers to make it look pretty.

7.62x51mm also from the SG Ammo site:

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're all giving the OP a false sense of security. That ammo is garbage and downright dangerous. I've emailed him my address for shipment to me for safe and proper disposal. Even covering shipping to ensure I get that dangerous product out of his hands...

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
You're all giving the OP a false sense of security. That ammo is garbage and downright dangerous. I've emailed him my address for shipment to me for safe and proper disposal. Even covering shipping to ensure I get that dangerous product out of his hands...

Great to see someone willing to take one for the team!

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post