SIGforum
Question About Ammo Cartridge Appearance: Almost “Burnt”?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/5820086084

March 22, 2021, 01:08 PM
PASig
Question About Ammo Cartridge Appearance: Almost “Burnt”?
Just got an email from this supplier and I’ve noticed that some of the rifle ammo like this 5.56 they are selling has a strange look around the neck of the cartridge. Almost looks like it was blow-torched or something?

What is that exactly?

March 22, 2021, 01:18 PM
Flash-LB
Looks like mine does when I anneal it.
March 22, 2021, 01:22 PM
tsmccull
Flash has it right. Have some new 5.56 Lake City brass that looks just like that.
March 22, 2021, 01:28 PM
Greymann
Nothing new or strange.
The burnt look is from the annealing process. Annealing softens the brass and removes the stress from being shaped. The brass would be too brittle from work hardening without being annealed. To anneal you heat up the metal and let it cool slow.
March 22, 2021, 05:07 PM
sigfreund
Yes, discoloration from the annealing process.

Military type ammunition usually looks like that because the manufacturers don’t need to polish off the discoloration as they do for ammunition generally sold to civilian consumers to make it look pretty.

7.62x51mm also from the SG Ammo site:

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
March 28, 2021, 03:11 PM
esh21167
You're all giving the OP a false sense of security. That ammo is garbage and downright dangerous. I've emailed him my address for shipment to me for safe and proper disposal. Even covering shipping to ensure I get that dangerous product out of his hands...

May 19, 2021, 04:02 PM
ShoreGuy
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
You're all giving the OP a false sense of security. That ammo is garbage and downright dangerous. I've emailed him my address for shipment to me for safe and proper disposal. Even covering shipping to ensure I get that dangerous product out of his hands...

Great to see someone willing to take one for the team!

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229