SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Anybody "collect" ammunition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody "collect" ammunition Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
My FIL gave me a box of 30 06 accelerators.

After looking them up I found that they were really controversial. dubbed a "assassin round". and discontinued after the government pressured Remington to quit making them..

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I know it's a thing.

Stuff like original Black Talons carry a premium among "ammo collectors", despite them not exactly being rare.

And when I was selling off part of my milsurp collection, I had some 1938 Austrian 8x56R ammo that I sold at a premium over my other surplus 8x56R, since some folks were willing to pay extra for the Nazi eagle headstamps from its post-Anschluss production.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They also made them in 30-30 and .308

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Sabot rounds that produced very high velocities on par with a 220 Swift, but weren’t very accurate, even back then. I can see where the police authorities would label them assassin’s rounds, as they would have no rifling marks on them, but no assassin would use something as inaccurate as those things were. I suspect Remington stopped making them due to the inaccuracy and how unpopular they were with the varment hunters as a result, rather than government pressure.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Stuff like original Black Talons carry a premium among "ammo collectors", despite them not exactly being rare.

I've seen a lot of guys who think their Black Talons are made of gold. Almost as bad as everyone in the 1990s who thought they'd be able to retire on their investments in Beanie Babies and baseball cards.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Sabot rounds that produced very high velocities on par with a 220 Swift, but weren’t very accurate, even back then. I can see where the police authorities would label them assassin’s rounds, as they would have no rifling marks on them, but no assassin would use something as inaccurate as those things were. I suspect Remington stopped making them due to the inaccuracy and how unpopular they were with the varment hunters as a result, rather than government pressure.

Agree, I tried them and as the guy said about Jaguar motorcars, occasionally they shot pretty well. But not often.

If I shoot a varmint with my .22-250, the Coyote Defense League is not going to find a big enough piece to get rifling impressions anyhow.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to collect ammo, but it was only ever 1-2 rounds of each.

I got bored with it, I guess it wasn’t my thing.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They didn't shoot terribly well and didn't sell.

That's why they went away.

Just saw some still on a store shelf recently.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine collects ammo, albeit in a small way, compared to his gun collecting habits. he's got some neat sabots, tracers, rocket launcher training rounds, and even a couple boxes of duplex. I got a kick out of seeing a couple weird things he's got, but that's good enough for me.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really a collector, but found a old 44-40 that has a wodden bullet. A 8 guage shell. A partial box of old 32RF.

Posts: 54 | Location: Western , PA. | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Miles42:
found a old 44-40 that has a wodden bullet

Perhaps an old school blank round?

Some late 19th and early 20th century blank firing systems involved loaded casings with wooden projectiles combined with a blank firing adapter muzzle device that would shred the wood into sawdust when it reached the end of the muzzle.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A few years ago a coworker gave me a box of Western 255 grain .45 Colt copper washed bullets with that weird “domed” primer along with several old “balloon head” (no extraction groove, only the rim to allow more space for black powder) case…I mentioned having both to a fellow Cowboy Action shooter and he freaking went nuts and offered me $10 each for a couple of them for his collection (they were gifted to me so I gifted a couple of them to him to add to his collection)…I also have a few Peters .41 LC cartridges that are “balloon head” black powder loads (I did pull one down and seriously you couldn’t get another grain of BP in that case)…that’s about it for my cartridge collection (excluding my .22 Winchester Automatic rimfire ammo for my grandfather’s model 1903 Winchester rifle and a box of 7.35 Italian with stripper clips)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have 2 50 cal ammo cans with bandoleers of LC4[4] .30 cal M2 AP. Can't shoot it at my gun club, so I'm just holding on to it. Also have 1 round of original production 7.65 Frommer Short made by FEG, same as my 1910 Frommer. Makes .32 ACP looks huge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a very small 'collection' of military ammo. A few boxes of WWII 30-06 AP 45 ACP and post war 45 match. And those are just because I also collect the weapons that us that specific ammo.

There is all kinds of oddball ammo out there, as well as some still shootable stuff like Black Talons, Blitz Action Trauma 9mm, and NYCLAD 38 special from back in the day. If you don't want it, someone out there will buy it.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years I wound up having a LOT of .22 ammo from the 60's through the 90's. When I mentioned it to a co-worker he went nuts claiming that those cool boxes were worth a LOT more than anyone ever dreamed.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Well not actively but when the opportunity arises. A customer brought in some old .22 ammunition in boxes, one box of Federal’s with a copyright date of 1927 on it. He was cleaning out a relative’s house and wanted it disposed of in a responsible manner.

So I did just that. Now,to find a vintage store display to put it in.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only ammo I have "collected" is some Remington UMC .32 acp FMJ ammunition that my Great Grandfather carried in his 1903 Colt Officer's model when he was Governor of Wisconsin. The last time I shot any of it was in 1984; 4 out of every 10 rounds refused to fire on the first try. The Remington UMC box for this ammunition is a great example of early 20th century graphic design, fun to look at and appreciate - knowing that it was sold during an era of Tommy guns and gangsters.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post