SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    How Old is Too Old for Stored Ammunition?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Old is Too Old for Stored Ammunition? Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
I'm sure many other members are in the same boat, but when is the ammo stored in a garage or interior room too old to shoot? My garage is nice and dry, very little moisture, no signs of strange stuff on boxes or cartridge cases.

Thanks!

Posts: 4557 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Depends on storage conditions, but 25 years shouldn’t be a problem.

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plenty of WWII and older ammo out there that mostly still goes bang.

Posts: 943 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the oldest I've fired was some 45 acp that was dated 1918 and was probably over 80 years old when I shot it. It looked good and shot OK. Naturally it depends on how the ammo is stored. If it looks good with no corrosion or signs of weathering it should be alright. I wouldn't use it in a carry gun or defensive weapon though.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
My garage is nice and dry, very little moisture, no signs of strange stuff on boxes or cartridge cases.
Given those conditions, I'd say your ammo will be good longer than you'll be alive, even if live to over 100.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
I still have some 1940's vintage old blue paper Peters 12 gauge shotgun shells, that I occasionally use for squirrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ace31,

Posts: 2190 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I would examine it closely after 50 years or so. If no signs of swelling, corrosion, or other water damage, I think you’re good to go.

Posts: 3524 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Someone gave me some 45acp ball ammo (200 rounds) of ww1..Orginal issue..Orginal packaging....Lot #35 dated 1917....Had been stored in a attic for well over 70 years..... All rounds fired.. but gave the current manufacture 1911 a thorough washing/ cleaning and oil down due to the use of corrosive powder................................ drill sgt..

Posts: 2076 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
This past weekend I shot some old S&W .38 nyclads.The dark ones from 1980s.

Shot great. Made some big holes through some aluminum frying pans.

Posts: 1647 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
A very, very, long time!!!!!

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've shot plenty of (properly stored) 70-100+ year old military surplus ammunition with no issues.

A mere few decades of being stored in your home is nothing.

Posts: 33023 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
...gave the current manufacture 1911 a thorough washing/ cleaning and oil down due to the use of corrosive powder................................ drill sgt..

The problem actually was corrosive primers, but the concept is correct, clean thoroughly immediately after firing. I think ammo even as late as WWII had corrosive primers.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9364 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern ammunition, stored in a reasonably clean, dry, and cool environment will be good indefinitely.

Posts: 274 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
...gave the current manufacture 1911 a thorough washing/ cleaning and oil down due to the use of corrosive powder................................ drill sgt..

The problem actually was corrosive primers, but the concept is correct, clean thoroughly immediately after firing. I think ammo even as late as WWII had corrosive primers.

I don’t presently have a .45, but when I did I enjoyed shooting military ball ammo. In my years of shooting .45 military ball ammo, I would say anything loaded in 1955 or later has a non corrosive primer. I ran through a box of WRA 55 stamped military .45 ball ammo years ago and it was just as reliable (100%), powerful and consistent as the modern Federal American Eagle .45 fmj I was also shooting that day. I did not use any special solvents on my 1911 after shooting the WRA 55 ammo and my bore never suffered any pitting.

If I still had a .45 or if I purchase another, I would have no problem trusting properly stored 1960’s loaded military ball ammo in my magazines.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool and dry and you can store for decades. I was told temperature extremes and water/humidity can degrade either the powder or primer (or both...I forget).

P220 (.45)
P225
P226 (9mm)
P228
P229 (.40)
P365
SP2022 (9mm & .40)

"...it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." - Clarence Worley in True Romance

Posts: 387 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
N0!!! More than a year old is too old. It needs to be given to me for disposal! Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
The only ammo i have seen mentioned to have a shelf life was FN 5-7 ammo. Forget the exact wording but something in the primers has a short shelf life and after so many years won’t ignite the powder.

I store all my ammo in sealed military ammo cans stored in my climate controlled gun safe with multiple goldenrods inside the safe.

Have recently been shooting some Federal 30-30 shells i bought in the 80’s with no issues.

Years ago when i lived in West Texas and dove and quail hunted a lot i bought my shotgun shells by the case every year. I moved to my current location and stopped hunting as much and ended up with about a half case of shells left over and after about 10 years started shooting them up and some had low energy. Would still push the pellets out the bbl but not very far.

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It could potentially last 200 years.

Realistically, if not stored in extreme conditions, ammo lasts for decades.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28626 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired ammo as old as the 90’s -1890’s ! That fired just fine. Ammo, as long as it is not exposed to EXTREME moisture Or temperatures will last forever practically speaking

Posts: 3372 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post