SIGforum
What makes for good range ammo- range ammo testing (video)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410601935/m/1860079394

August 07, 2022, 06:17 PM
Modern Day Savage
What makes for good range ammo- range ammo testing (video)
Came across this video of range ammo testing that included some interesting data and info. It would've been nice to see a couple additional common brands/ types of range ammo included in this test, but I still think it's worth sharing.

@ 14 minute video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-sZAwPots
August 08, 2022, 10:23 AM
maxwayne
I have used aluminum for years.
August 11, 2022, 08:04 AM
sigfreund
Thank you. That’s not an evaluation I’ve seen before. I appreciated the fact that he actually made some meaningful measurements with reasonable sample sizes, which is a real rarity among the YouTube crowd. But he could have left out the “accuracy” testing entirely.

Another thing I see all the time are so-called accuracy tests that are essentially worthless because of poor target design and/or poor techniques. I guess his targets were okay with the sight he was using, but he could have improved the test protocol several hundred percent by simply shooting from some sort of rest. A rolled-up shirt on top of that blue barrel in the background would have been far better than what he was evidently doing. “I can’t shoot groups.” Well then, don’t call what you were doing an “accuracy” test.

But otherwise it was a worthwhile watch. Smile
And I’m another one who buys Blazer aluminum whenever I can.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 12, 2022, 09:43 AM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Another thing I see all the time are so-called accuracy tests that are essentially worthless because of poor target design and/or poor techniques. I guess his targets were okay with the sight he was using, but he could have improved the test protocol several hundred percent by simply shooting from some sort of rest. A rolled-up shirt on top of that blue barrel in the background would have been far better than what he was evidently doing. “I can’t shoot groups.” Well then, don’t call what you were doing an “accuracy” test.

You're welcome.

Smile

One of the many things I've learned from you over the years is the importance of target selection when testing accuracy, and so I had the very same thought when I saw his choice for targets.

As a competition shooter focused on speed over accuracy, I'm glad he at least acknowledged his limitations in producing tight groups and that the ammo produced good enough groups for his style of shooting.

As we've seen in so many forum threads over the years, one shooter's standard for 'accuracy' is not necessarily another shooter's standard... and that the term 'accuracy' is relatively meaningless without defined standards.

I'm an equal opportunity ammo slut and will buy almost any ammo to try once or twice, depending on price...but I've shot my fair share of Blazer aluminum and I like it. Interestingly, one of the ammo related stoppages I had years ago was a Blazer aluminum .40 S&W, due to an OOS rim issue. I contacted Blazer CS and provided photos, they were very interested to learn about it, and requested the lot number, and sent me a new box of ammo. Having said that, it was an isolated incident and I enjoy shooting Blazer.

Having only watched two of his videos I'm new to his content, but I think I'll spend a little more time checking out some of his other videos and try to get a sense of whether he produces content worth watching.