SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Oxygen Deployed, Mail Order Ammo Prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oxygen Deployed, Mail Order Ammo Prices Login/Join 
posted
Even though my scores at matches are laughable, I still want to train, practice and shoot especially now that I'm unemployed or, re-imagining my career.

I don't reload. Don't plan to start. I'm down to 5,000 rounds of 9mm.

9mm target ammo at LGS is like walking in the Gobi (dry). Went to Cabellas today to get something else and I'm not sure why they even have Ammo shelves anymore.

Self Defense ammo is non-existent but I'm focused on the plain Jane RN New ammo for my purposes. I have enough self defense ammo at the moment.

I buy new, non-reman, 9mm. I've been able to find 115, 124 and 135 but I'm paying ~.70/round for it, plus shipping.

For those of us who don't reload and want to order a few cases at a time, mail order prices continue to soar. I have a feeling they will continue to rise once the new President is sworn in and Ammo by mail becomes as evil as 'Assault' Rifles.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will still train at the same intervals -- just shoot less per session. I used to shoot around 200 rds per trip I have dialed that back to 100 or so. Focus a little more on quality -- less on volume.

Perhaps incorporate the .22LR a little more.

I am optimistic the 'craze' will abate at some point -- but it's going to be a long while. At least 18 months IMO. Maybe 2 years.

Of course no one can predict the future with certainty.

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it's going to be a while before prices OR availability start to improve again, and even that's assuming nothing drastic comes down from the DC swamp. I've cut back my practice sessions some, both frequency and number of rounds, and I'm down to around 4K 9mm practice rounds now. I'm going to start mixing the .45 into it more as I've got boxes and coffee cans full of reloads for that. I never set up to reload 9mm "because it's so cheap" (and my time is worth something too), and there's not much point in starting now because of the component shortage. Might start shooting the .22 pistol more too.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid the ''because its so cheap'' days of ammunition is long gone. Now that the suppliers have the prices up, i doubt they'll go down that much. I tried warning friends some time ago about the lack of ammunition and the prices of ammunition. Now, one guy told me, he couldn't find even 22 ammo anyplace. And, his wife is a coo of a pretty good sized store that carries guns, loading supply's and the like. Its too bad, but, this is the ''new wave''

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Looking at Ammo Seek today the low price for 9mm is 65 cents a round. Just a week or so ago it was 50 cents a round. Yeah it's going to be awhile, a long while before things settle out if they ever do.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah it's going to be awhile, a long while before things settle out if they ever do.

Sad to say I concur. Those that did NOT buy cheap and stack deep will now cry the poor mouth.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We've been here before and we'll make it out of this. Indeed, those who did not buy for the four years of Trump when ammo prices were at all time lows are now regretting it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The question I would like to hear answered is, if the industry has clearly identified a permanent increase in demand from existing and new shooters over the last several years, regardless of who is in the White House, why does it seem manufacturers continue to drag their feet to implement the investment and means to produce more on a regular basis and not just some additional production run shifts here and there? I'm still good for now and planned ahead as much as I could and as was reasonable for my/our needs, but at some point we're all going to need to be able to buy more or more severely limit our use if the skyrocketing prices and spotty availability continue, and it just seems like the ammo industry continues to lag well behind consumer demand.

Could you imagine what the current environment would look like if what is likely a good number of us would not have prepared as much as we did along the way the last few years?

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:

Could you imagine what the current environment would look like if what is likely a good number of us would not have prepared as much as we did along the way the last few years?

It could be you've discovered the source of the problem. Seems you're also a "late starter". Some of us (the prepared ones) have been doing the hoarding thing all along. I have no comments on the idea's you've stated and I pretty much agree. Anytime a shortage exists and it can't be blamed on government or suppliers, its foot dragging by the manufacturers.

There's little doubt they could be increasing production facilities. Its been going on now for a long time. My point of view is its upper management that's causing the problem. Sure, they'd like to blame the workers for taking off last friday or whatever. But at some point in time, the blame comes right back to rest on them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, I was not inferring that those of us that tried to stock up over recent years were the problem, especially since stock was plentiful and prices were low so it was prudent to do so and even help the industry thrive during the quieter/slower times, only that more of us trying to buy now because we didn’t plan ahead would have made things even worse. By the same token, even the avid enthusiast generally does not have the physical space and disposable income to spend tens of thousands of dollars on ammunition to hedge against the variables and climate of the firearms industry and government personnel and policy. There are other things that have slowed my consumption/use of ammo this past year (including but not limited to the China virus), but I was definitely not a "late starter” as I have always had a pretty prudent balance of use and accumulation for my needs over the last 20 to 25 years, and I’m still in a comfortable position until the manufacturers can hopefully pick up the slack in the next year or two, or even a bit longer if needed depending on my level of consumption and which calibers I shoot most.

The bottom line is the manufacturers need to step up and meet the demand. Just like we’ve seen all the signs and ups and downs of the past, and the surge of casual shooters, enthusiasts, and competitors alike, so should have the ammo execs. Given the existing demand, they should be fully taking advantage of the economies of scale that expanding production would bring including stabilizing prices and availability, while increasing profits and generating more firearms industry jobs too.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I agree the ammo companies have surely seen enough profit over the years that they could and should be investing in new production lines. The reason they have not would be interesting to hear. Iirc didn't Obama saddle the industry with large government contracts for ammo choking off production for the civilian market? Have these contracts expired or are they still being fulfilled? Government contracts I believe take priority over anything else.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straight from the man himself -- president of the company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...0V0&feature=emb_logo

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
We've been here before and we'll make it out of this. Indeed, those who did not buy for the four years of Trump when ammo prices were at all time lows are now regretting it.

Bingo.

There were periods during the Obama administration that ammo prices were reasonable and supply was decent. Maybe 3 separate periods of a few months each -- too long ago to recall the details. Buying ammo for multiple types of competition was a challenge, but I got it done during those years.

I haven't purchased handgun ammo or shotgun shells in well over a year, as I just don't need it. Rifle ammo is a different story -- constant shooting means regular buying. It takes a fair amount of searching to find reasonable prices. But rifle ammo is out there for the patient buyer.

Two days ago I bought 200 rounds of Federal GGM 223 in 69 SMK at a good price. The distributor allowed only 200 rounds per day, and of course they were sold out in an hour or so. Last week I purchased 400 rounds of Hornady 6 Creedmoor 108 ELD at a reasonable price. Again, that was the limit per day, and they sold out in less than a day. Some of the web distributors charge hideous prices, then add large shipping & handling fees. Somebody out there is buying from such distributors, but not me.

I should note that Federal must be running their factories pretty hard. I see 223 FGMM appearing here and there from a number of distributors. It sells out quickly. I now have more 223 FGMM 69 grain in inventory than I've ever had in the past.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Tactical Shit just sent me an email with some ammo available "on sale".
It was nice ammo, I mean really nice Ft. Scott 115gn 9MM.
Even though I have never heard of it it it looked very nice ~ they even pose it with a butter fly. Eek
Only $28.34 for 20, that's only $1417 for a case of 1K. Eek Eek Eek
The thing is I don't think they are trying to gouge... I think they just bought some expensive shit and yes marking it up to a premium price.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Straight from the man himself -- president of the company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...0V0&feature=emb_logo

---------------------------

I have to say it.... What's in those boxes!!! Why aren't they in a truck going to sgammo, Wally World, BPS, LGS, etc??? Why are there like 3 workers picking their noses? That place looks smaller than our local Coca Cola distributor and it's supposed to be making 4 major lines of ammo??? This is what happens when Umbrella Corp buys up ammo brands and you do not have diversity in supply lines. Man up, take the risk, increase your production capacity.

Posts: 2503 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Ii don't think what we're seeing is a permanent increase in demand. I think it's short term until everyone gets as much as they think they want or need and then demand will go back down to slightly more than it's been in the past.

I also believe the ammo makers believe the same thing and think it would be foolish to invest in more buildings and tooling at this time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
There is a reloading company near to me that I'm friendly with the owner.

He said that due to lack of supply, his national contracts for power, primers, and FMJ bullets just isn't there and he's had to wait in line at the local shops to try and get supplies like the rest of us.

What used to be .33/rd for 9mm is now .83/rd due to supplies and increased labor of having to find the supplies .

To his credit, he could be selling it for over a buck a round, people are willing to pay it... but he's trying to stay as good as he can in hopes that if/when it drops the locals will remember.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Ii don't think what we're seeing is a permanent increase in demand. I think it's short term until everyone gets as much as they think they want or need and then demand will go back down to slightly more than it's been in the past.

I also believe the ammo makers believe the same thing and think it would be foolish to invest in more buildings and tooling at this time.

Beg to differ, once the hammer falls on all new gun bans, NFA restructuring and taxation, ammo will be the new collectable. Folks the salad days are OVER.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
The worst I've seen is a place called
alamo ammo. Talk about price gouging. They want 9.00 a round for .38 special s/d ammo.

https://alamoammo.com/index.ph...port_feed&source=xml

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
The worst I've seen is a place called
alamo ammo. Talk about price gouging. They want 9.00 a round for .38 special s/d ammo.

https://alamoammo.com/index.ph...port_feed&source=xml
$9.93 / round, shipped to my area in Florida. Not sure whether they collect sales tax.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post