SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Recommend me a suppressor cover
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend me a suppressor cover Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
For a SIG SRD762QD, if one needs to be that specific.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if there is any significant difference among the various offerings, but I’m content with my Armageddon Gear cover.

They do list a cover for your specific model:

https://www.armageddongear.com/Suppressor-Cover

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
What purpose does it serve?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

Depending on the type of suppressor cover -

(1) Keep you from burning the piss out of your hand / body if coming in contact with a HOT ASS suppressor. Plenty of photos out there of burns to skin / range bags / etc. It really doesn't take many shots for them to heat up significantly.

(2) Cut down / eliminate "mirage" from a hot suppressor that can occur from relatively few shots with a centerfire rifle suppressor. Even with a 22LR suppressor, firing semi-rapidly you will get heat mirages off the suppressor visible in your optic, which makes shooting accurately difficult.

I have "Rifles only" HAD (Heat Absorption Device) on my centerfire rifle suppressors. It's rated for full auto / rapid fire use on 5.56/7.62. They also have their MAD (Mirage Absorption Device) which are smaller but will melt under rapid fire - but are useful for bolt action / rimfire options.

Here are my HADs off the suppressors during a Cold Range (to allow them to cool a bit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My primary purpose is, as Rhino said, to keep from burning my junk when I have my rifle slung.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When shooting 308 or 6.5 CM ammunition with my TBAC 30P-1 suppressor, five shots slow fire is enough to make it uncomfortably hot to the touch.
A cover is a necessity, IMO.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recs. Decided on the Armageddon Gear high temp cover, since it fills my primary purpose of reducing risk of burns, but will work just fine reducing mirage on my bolt guns.

posted Hide Post
I'm probably too late and I'm sure your choice will do fine but I've been using this for years

https://bowersgroup.com/produc...one-silencer-covers/

Its been great on my OPS 12th especially on the shorter barrels. I have one on my 9 can but that doesnt typically get as warm.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'm probably too late and I'm sure your choice will do fine but I've been using this for years

I’m curious about putting the cover on and especially taking it off. I couldn’t find any discussion on the company site, but the one video indicated that it was a slow process involving water to put it on, so how difficult is it to remove the cover? If it can’t be removed readily, how long does it take for the suppressor to cool down with the cover on?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I'll preference this with the standard I'm not a scientist disclaimer.

From my experience with them, you can slide the cover down when cold by pushing the can against the floor and putting your thumb on the cover plus applying a bit of pressure.

When warm the cover seems to expand and slides off without much effort though its never moved unintentionally. I normally just let it cool in the sleeve but if I get it stupid hot I have slid it from the tube and let it sit.

I do imagine it traps a good amount of heat but I dont shoot without the cover so I cant readily compare it.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the Rifles Only covers, I pull the cords around it tight, run them through the tension clip and then use the excess cord to tie the cover to the rail. This ensures the cover doesn't come off if / when it gets loose. Then I will untie them and take them off to cool when needed.

Some designs for bolt guns are made to be easy to pull back over the barrel to let the suppressor cool - obviously that doesn't work on an AR-15 type rifle with a very short exposed barrel.

The biggest thing to check is to ensure the cover you get is good for the use you need because some of them are good for only slow fire and rapid centerfire shooting will melt them off.

posted Hide Post
For rimfire rifles, I have found these TAB Gear covers excellent since those don't get too hot and these covers have excellent retention with bungee sewn into the front / back as desired.

https://www.tabgear.com/collec...or-antimirage-shield

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t know if there is any significant difference among the various offerings, but I’m content with my Armageddon Gear cover.

They do list a cover for your specific model:

https://www.armageddongear.com/Suppressor-Cover

I don't shoot full auto, but is there a reason to buy the HI Temp version? It's only $10, but is it bulky? Thanks. Looking for my AAC 7.62.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Burn Proof Gear, period.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I don't shoot full auto, but is there a reason to buy the HI Temp version?

I can’t answer that other than to say that the cover I have works fine for the use I put it to: no mag dumps or long strings of fire without a chance for things to cool.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

I have a 11.5” AR. After just three rounds the can is too hot to hold. A cover not only protects me but a hot can also melts plastic very quickly and burns paper and cardboard that comes into contact. Sometimes when I go shooting I lay the rifle on a plastic table that I take when I go shooting in the desert.

If you shoot with a scope the cover will reduce/remove the heat waves that will distort your view.

Posts: 96 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post