SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Opinions (and facts) on mounts….
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions (and facts) on mounts…. Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Who makes the best mounting system? I’m going with a hub mount, and am undecided what brand to go with? Is there a clear favorite, or does one have a definite advantage? I would most likely use a flash hider instead of a brake.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2520 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Anymore, whatever you go with for brand, taper mount is the way. If you go hang out in places where the industry guys talk, that's what you'll hear, over and over. Some will make an issue about taper before threads or threads before taper, but the important part is have a taper. It gives you a repeatable, consistent mount, and if you have impact shift with your can, at least it's in the same place every time.

Rearden R2S and an Atlas is the combo everyone recommends first. Ecco Machine makes fantastic mounts and adapters. Griffin makes HUB taper mount stuff, but they call it Plan A, which is different from Silencerco's Alpha mounting interface. (It also differs from Q's Plan B in terms of where the taper is in relation to the threads. I knew they were different, and somehow ran across something that had me believing they weren't for a bit, so I have edited this) Yeah, confused me too, make sure to look at the thread pitches.

Oh, and if you go with Plan B, don't go with a Q muzzle device, because if you get the can carbon locked to the point it unscrews your muzzle device, it's now implanted in your can with no easy way to get it out. The Rearden muzzle devices have wrench flats on the base, so you can get the can off without inadvertently removing the muzzle device. If you go with Plan A, Griffin devices have a slot on the back you can get a tool into if this happens, which is less convenient, but at least you're not totally hosed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
So I’ve spent the past few hours looking at various pages online, and agree that the taper mount is the newest and most popular setup. I’m not sure which is better/best yet, Plan A, or Plan B…..or what the advantage on has over the other. I see that Griffen makes a hub adapter for Plan A, aka their taper mount. I’ll look into the brands you mentioned as well.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2520 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's confusing enough that I had to re-read your post to make sure I both told you the right thing, and that I read you correctly lol. I also went back and edited in some clarifications and corrections. Plan A is Griffin's branding of what Plan B is, which is the taper mount device that Q came up with first. Essentially, the difference is the taper on the Plan B is forward of the threads, which means they don't get carbon on them like happens with the Plan A. After a lot of looking online, I can't really find that people have a lot of problems with it if they correctly torque and use Rocksett or Vibratite Hot Lock when they install the muzzle device.

Griffin makes two different 1.37x25/HUB to Plan A/Plan B adapters, and I own one of each. I bought the standard Plan A before I got my Polonium and then learned that the muzzle device I chose (a Griffin linear comp) would not fit the blast chamber of the Polonium with this mount. I had to buy the Plan A XL, which adds .8" to the OAL, and makes everything fit just peachy. So, blast chamber length is an issue here as well that I didn't properly consider and couldn't find clear info on what would work with my can.

If I was starting fresh, and wasn't worried about being able to use both my Griffin Explorr and my Polonium on the same rifles, then I would go with a Rearden R2S and whatever flavor and length of Rearden Atlas you need in order to clear the blast chamber on whatever can you get.

Here's a pretty good video.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some relevant discussion in here...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...858/m/3370051605/p/1

I agree with Smudge, where the thread/taper interface is concerned. It certainly seems to be the go-to nowadays. I haven't used one of the current popular ones yet, but I have been using an Otter Creek OCM5 lately. It uses threads and a taper, and it's never come loose or become stuck.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are actually three Griffin Plan A adapters. In addition to the original Plan A and XL, there is the newer Long. It’s closer to the XL, adding 0.73” instead of 0.8”, but a bit lighter. Unless you really need the slight length increase of the XL, I’d get the Long.

Posts: 3403 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wish I had looked closer before I ordered the XL, I could probably get away with the L. Oh well lol.

Another thought about Plan A vs Plan B: This thread is a good reminder that I need to buy anti-seize before I take my cans out to the range, per Griffin's recommendation to apply some to the threads on either the device or the can. I have not seen anything about this being recommended for Plan B, likely because it isn't needed.

The more I think about it, the more I think if you have the option, Plan B is probably better overall, specifically the Rearden options. It's got the same upsides as Plan A, none of the downsides, and yet more upsides in terms of the wrench flats on the muzzle device so you don't have to risk it coming off in the rare case you actually get the can carbon locked - You can get a strap wrench on the can, a wrench on the muzzle device, and isolate all the torsion to just the one set of locked threads instead of applying any rotational force to the barrel. It's smart.