SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    restrict or vent?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

restrict or vent? Login/Join 
posted
I was tinkering with a Superlative Arms adjustable short stroke piston system today, and noticed that restricting the gas flow to the point of proper function with a silencer attached was a lot gassier than using their vent function. I was using an H2 buffer and regular carbine spring. As I have postulated in other discussions, I believe that letting that gas out of the bore, and exhausting it to the atmosphere via an exhaust vent in the gas system, is a logical and effective approach to reducing gas blowback into the action and the shooter's face. I believe all operating systems can fall victim to this "bore exhaust", when a silencer is applied. In the instance of the short stroke situation I was presented with today, if other esteemed SIGforum members were given the same circumstance, would you be more likely to keep the gas restricted and use a different spring and/or buffer, in an effort to delay reward movement of the BCG, which would logically serve to push more gas out through the can, or vent as I did? I think retaining the normal reciprocating mass is a desirable aspect of venting, and I am not sure that you could add enough spring or buffer weight to mitigate the bore exhaust to the same extent as the vent. What say the suppressor gurus?

Posts: 570 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple more things worth mentioning, and a question...
I am using Winchester M193 ammo. My benchmark for determining if a gun is too gassy is a 12-shot, relatively rapid drill. If I can't make it through that drill without being compromised by the emissions, the current setup is unsatisfactory, as was the case with the restricted flow in the above post; I didn't make it more than halfway, before I was squinting for relief.

Question: In adjusting gas venting in any operating system, for use with a silencer, is it more logical to adjust for more venting, or earlier venting?

Posts: 570 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post