SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressor delivered to door
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor delivered to door Login/Join 
posted
Just got my first deliver to my door can from Capitol Armory today. UPS guy showed up, signed for it, and it was mine. Previously had done Silencer Shop and picked up the can from a LGS, so this process was new to me. The entire process was quick and painless from beginning to end (other than the 10 month ATF wait), and it only took 2 1/2 weeks from the approval until it arrived. Only took two days from the time the 7 day CLEO wait ended to it to be delivered. Overall, I’m pretty satisfied.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Did you have to fill out a 4473 somewhere in the process?

All of my cans that I did through silencershop I have had to do a 4473 as well when I picked up the can after ATF approval at my local shop.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Did you have to fill out a 4473 somewhere in the process?

All of my cans that I did through silencershop I have had to do a 4473 as well when I picked up the can after ATF approval at my local shop.

Yes, that’s what the 2-3 week delay in getting the can after the F4 is approved is for. It’s considered a non-OTC (over the counter) firearm transaction and has to follow the process here.

https://www.atf.gov/file/148156/download

Basically, CA has you electronically fill out your part of the 4473, as well as sign the required statement, and upload a picture of your drivers license. Then they print it out and send it registered mail to your CLEO. Once it’s received, a 7 day clock starts, at the end of which they ship you the can.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's kind of neat. But seems like a bunch of wait time to just avoid heading down to your local dealer. Since doesn't this all have to be instate?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
That's kind of neat. But seems like a bunch of wait time to just avoid heading down to your local dealer. Since doesn't this all have to be instate?

Yes, it’s instate. They have a single instate dealer (in certain states), and that dealer may be on the other side of the state. The can actually comes from their instate dealer.

Not sure exactly how it works (think it’s some kind of LLC arrangement), but the advantage is that there is no Form 3 needed for them to get the can from their headquarters in TX to the instate dealer. If you buy from Silencer Shop, instead of a can instock at your LGS, you’ll have to wait for the Form 3 process to play out and get the can to your LGS before you can start your Form 4. In this scenario, you’re trading off the Form 3 delay before your Form 4 submission, for a 4473 delay after Form 4 approval. Obviously, if you buy a can already in stock at your dealer, it’s just a Form 4, and then it’s how fast the dealer can get the paperwork ready to certify.

I don’t know the current Form 3 times that people who buy from SS are seeing, so I don’t know if it’s typically more or less than 2 1/2 weeks. Also, you’re running everything through CA and their website, who know what they are doing and have it down pat, and don’t have to worry if the LGS doing your transfer is an idiot. All I can say is that it was only 2-3 days from buying the can online from CA and remotely certifying the Form 4 through their website, while on the phone with them (done two cans now, and then immediately pick up when you call to certify, so no phone tag).

I originally went CA because they had a better price than SS, but the efficiency and ease led me to get a second can through them. My thinking was that if I was going to wait 10 months for a Form 4 anyway, a couple of weeks added at the end didn’t matter that much.

posted Hide Post
my LGS stocks a ton of stuff so I rarely have F3 time, but its always been less than a week when its necessary. But in the context of the F4 wait times any week(s) kind of delay really isn't relevant. Its an interesting process on the surface, but sadly they aren't in my State yet.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post