SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    If you have never fired a suppressed 9mm PCC....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have never fired a suppressed 9mm PCC.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
A buddy of mine with an MP5 is waiting on stamp approval of a Dead Air Wolfman and he is planning to go direct thread

I would have no idea how he would do this? No actual HK MP5 has threads that I've ever seen or heard of?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11197 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Yeah, I went deep down the suppressor rabbit hole last night on YouTube after replying to this thread. What struck me with the one channel I spent a lot of time with was the guy had a habit of gingerly checking that the suppressor was firmly threaded onto whatever pistol he was shooting, which seemed reasonable the first few times I saw him do it. But he did it every three of four shots, consistently. That told me a lot. So yes, tri lug seems like a no-brainer for me. If I can easily unthread the tri lug to install whatever adapter and booster I need for pistols, I don't know why I wouldn't do that. What is his reasoning for going direct thread? Or is it just pure inexperience?

I really don't know what his rationale is. He's an engineer, and a super smart dude. He has other cans, all with some form of QD, like a key-mo mount from dead air.

I don't know if he is trying to save weight. He mentioned something about simple and tactile. My response was that it doesn't get any simpler than 3 lug. Press and turn, and it locks.

Posts: 14164 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
A buddy of mine with an MP5 is waiting on stamp approval of a Dead Air Wolfman and he is planning to go direct thread

I would have no idea how he would do this? No actual HK MP5 has threads that I've ever seen or heard of?

His barrel has a 3 lug mount and is threaded on the portion forward of that.

Posts: 14164 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I splurged and got a P90" ...
I don't get the whole part of that thread. You can't get a P90 at least not as a civilian in the US. You can get a PS90. And then you can SBR that to get a P90 like gun by ditching the barrel shroud and shortening the barrel. And when you do that you usually easily end up with 1/2x28 threads which are completely universal.

posted Hide Post
quote:

On an ACTUAL HK? I have never seen nor heard of that. On a clone for sure. This might be a personal peeve but if you say that one has an MP5 I think you are meaning an actual HK one. And not a clone and not a semi. On that note I will go into my HK roller lock thoughts. You have to be some kind of outlier to not like shooting an MP5, clone, etc.

posted Hide Post
Back to suppressors. In my experience the Wolfman is much better on 9mm guns than the Obsidian. Less gas and better suppression. But if you intend to shoot your 9mm suppressor on things that make taking it apart mandatory (like .22lr) get the Rugged as it disassembles for cleaning, and cleaning you will be doing. I'm not super sound sensitive but my dead air mask on .22lr is so much better than running a centerfire can I would never recommend that one do that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't get a P90 at least not as a civilian in the US. You can get a PS90
I know what you mean; it can cause confusion. I am guilty of using proper nomenclatures though, even though the gun may be neutered. I am not going to call my 553P a 553P, which would indicate the commercial model that it indeed is; I am going to call it a 553. It can perhaps be boiled down to wishful thinking. I wouldn't refer to a TG36 in it's commercial nomenclature; I'd say G36. Likewise, I am OK with referring to an SP5 as an MP5. I suppose the distinction would initially need to be made, to avoid confusion, but then the conversation can continue with military nomenclatures.

Edit: I will certainly concede that it depends on the model, and the makeup. We probably shouldn't refer to MR556 rifles as 416s, and a TG36 receiver completed with clone parts is not probably worthy of the G36 name.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Love my Banshee sbr. Omega 9k on a 3 lug setup.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8180 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

On an ACTUAL HK? I have never seen nor heard of that. On a clone for sure. This might be a personal peeve but if you say that one has an MP5 I think you are meaning an actual HK one. And not a clone and not a semi. On that note I will go into my HK roller lock thoughts. You have to be some kind of outlier to not like shooting an MP5, clone, etc.

Then you haven’t been around. HK produced the MP5-N for the US Navy Seals, which specific requested a threaded barrel for using with a suppressor. The barrel threading was in 1/2x32 for a specific suppressor at the time (KAC, I believe). Also, currently HK offers the MP5K-PDW, which has barrel threading in the more conventional 1/2x28. These are not clones and not civilian semi guns. They a factory produced submachine gun MP5s. Of course, the civilian semi HK SP5 and SP5K-PDW also have threaded barrels.

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I knew that the SP5's are threaded as I own those, and the clones of course. But I didn't know one could obtain or make an actual threaded HK MP5 as a civilian (which is what I assume we are talking about here). But if it was made by HK sooner or later the parts will be available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I really don't know what his rationale is. He's an engineer, and a super smart dude. He has other cans, all with some form of QD, like a key-mo mount from dead air.

I don't know if he is trying to save weight. He mentioned something about simple and tactile. My response was that it doesn't get any simpler than 3 lug. Press and turn, and it locks.

I married into a family of engineers. Very smart folks. They do think differently, though. Weight is something I hadn't considered.

quote:
You can't get a P90 at least not as a civilian in the US.

A career housewife could get her 07/02 SOT and buy post-sample MG's. So, not quite.

quote:
You can get a PS90.

I'll continue to call it a P90, and I'm not going to play along and act like everyone else is confused about what I mean when I say that. I'll also keep just calling my CZ a Scorpion and not feel the need to clarify that it's an S1 and not an A1.

quote:
And then you can SBR that to get a P90 like gun by ditching the barrel shroud and shortening the barrel. And when you do that you usually easily end up with 1/2x28 threads which are completely universal.

https://cmmg.com/barrel-10-4-p...40-cmv-cl-1-9-5-7x28

Yeah, I'm familiar with the options.

Back on topic, my FFL has a Rugged Obsidian 45 and piston bundle for $742. He also stocks Rex Silentium and YHM. This may be silly, but I had no idea there were cans that work for both rifle and pistol like the YHM R9, R45, or the Rex Silentium MG7. I need to get the ball rolling on something, but I also have so much to learn.

On those note, this is that MP5 muzzle device. Very interesting.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's a clone. Because HK hates us.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
quote:

Then you haven’t been around. HK produced the MP5-N for the US Navy Seals, which specific requested a threaded barrel for using with a suppressor. The barrel threading was in 1/2x32 for a specific suppressor at the time (KAC, I believe). Also, currently HK offers the MP5K-PDW, which has barrel threading in the more conventional 1/2x28. These are not clones and not civilian semi guns. They a factory produced submachine gun MP5s. Of course, the civilian semi HK SP5 and SP5K-PDW also have threaded barrels.

He might have used one of these barrels. I'm not sure where he sourced all his parts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll continue to call it a P90

You can call it anything you want and every other gun you own too. Doesn't make it so. But it won't matter on this or anything else till you need some advice on something and then being precise will matter.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
These two are a hoot and get more use than my AR’s. Both are 9mm. First is a B&T GHM9, second is a Scorpion. They both need tri lug mounts.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7083 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
9mm ARs are fun in general. And a suppressed one is a full out giggle.

I don't own one, but I shot a 3-gun match with a borrowed one, once. (All short range.) It was a hoot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Dry-fly, yours is the first Scorpion I've seen wearing the riser on the Zhukov, how do you like it? Does it interfere with folding at all?

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, it makes it more comfortable for me. Admittedly it’s a little kooky looking. Initially I just popped it on in a whim but it seems to work pretty well. Still folds fine too.

quote:
Dry-fly, yours is the first Scorpion I've seen wearing the riser on the Zhukov, how do you like it? Does it interfere with folding at all?

Posts: 7083 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, you've also done something I'm curious, and that's put AR height sights and optics on it. I have a PA red dot on a low mount that cowitnesses with the factory irons, but I've been moving to more of a head up type posture rather than hunching down on the gun.

Your setup looks like it's probably pretty comfortable to shoot.

What can is that?

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It definitely is more comfy to shoot imo. My head isn’t lying flat on my shoulder this way. Can is a Dead Air Wolfman, in it’s shorter configuration.

quote:
Well, you've also done something I'm curious, and that's put AR height sights and optics on it. I have a PA red dot on a low mount that cowitnesses with the factory irons, but I've been moving to more of a head up type posture rather than hunching down on the gun.

Your setup looks like it's probably pretty comfortable to shoot.

What can is that?