SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Question about my 1989 Cobray M11-9mm suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about my 1989 Cobray M11-9mm suppressor Login/Join 
posted
Hello all, I've got a 1989 Cobray M11-9mm with flash suppressor. My question is, how do I know if it's an actual suppressor or just a fake suppressor for something to hold on to. It's very true that these guns are not very comfortable to shoot but they are fun as long as I have the suppressor mounted. I've seen a tool that I can put in the holes in the plates on the end to remove them. Will I need to pull those plates to see if there is anything inside the suppressor? Is there any way to add internals to make it an actual working suppressor if it's just a fake one? I believe silencers are not legal in my state so I'm not looking to turn a legal machine pistol into an illegal one. I'm just curious about this gun and what I truly have. It's closed bolt so only semi-auto. I can't even imagine how much fun but very expensive to run this thing on full auto.
Thank you in advance for any information you can help me with.

Posts: 18 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My first thought is to wonder how you could have possibly ended up with a gun like that equipped with a real suppressor without knowing it.

But in any case you might try an inexpensive bore scope to see what the inside looks like, or even simpler, fire some heavy bullet subsonic ammunition with the gun that would be pretty quiet if it’s a genuine suppressor.

And in rereading your post, do I understand that the device can be removed? If so, a real suppressor made by a legitimate company should have markings to indicate the manufacturer and its serial number.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
It's probably a barrel extension--not a flash hider nor a suppressor.
A suppressor will have a manufacturer and serial number as sigfreund stated.
If suppressors are NOT legal in your state, you should not continue down that path.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, here is the back story. My dad acquired this M11-9mm from our neighbor that owed him money. Dad was into guns and bought a Russion AK with a machined action instead of stamped just before one of the bans that made them unavailable for purchase. The M11 came with everything to settle what he owed him. When pop passed, I got the M111 but he had sold the AK years before. When I bought my home, I took it to the city to register it along with my other hand guns and besides a surprised look on the officers face and a question of it being semi or auto,registration went smoothly. I did not take the 32rd magazines or the supressor. When dad and I shot it years ago, it did not seem as loud as his 9mm pistol but I also had ear plugs in. I contacted Cobray about the suppressor and the buffer pad because I had seen 1/4" buffer pads as well as 1/8" and wanted to know what factory was because who knows what has been done to the gun before pop got it and after. The bullets we shot were from a gun show and very dirty. You could literally see black smoke come out with every shot. I have not tried subsonic round as I don't have any need for a quiet gun. My carry 45cal and even my carry .380 make plenty of noise at the range. The guy from Cobray said its probably a fake suppressor because its not rifled but it does have the Cobray logo on it. It's one tube, not a smaller and bigger type silencer that I've read about. It has no serial numbers on it so it must just be a fake and not real. It's a semi auto closed bolt gun so there is not even a way to make it auto and very illegal. I guy that bought a few buffer pads has a open bolt full auto M11 that he's waiting for it to be shipped back to Texas from the ATF or whoever he sent it to for his tax stamp. My question about how to tell if it's basically a silencer was answered by mention of a serial number that it doesn't have. It's basically there for something to hold while you are shooting. It runs thru a 32rd magazine in under 25 seconds just by pulling the trigger repeatedly. The guy I know with the full auto will have fun while he's going broke emptying magazines at over 900rds/min. This gun has sat in my closet for over 10 years until I pulled it out to oil it again and found the buffer pad broken. That's when my interest for learning all I can about this M11 started. The buffers are a common issue that I have read about over and over. That's why I decided to make them for mine and offer them for sale to others that need one or will need one at a much lower price than I've seen. I still haven't found an answer about why 1/4" are made but both of the buffers I make are quick installation replacement without taking that tiny roll pin out of the guide pin. I am confident now that the suppressor is not a silencer because it has no serial number, only the Cobray logo. It's just a tube with no rifling or serial number to screw onto the barrel so you don't shoot your hand off and it looks more gangster with it on. Making sure the internals are clean and they are was mentioned. Pop taught me young to never leave a firearm dirty after shooting. I'm not planning on selling it so I'll just keep it in my collection and remember my dad with it.
He was a tough Airborn Ranger dad but kind and always fair. He hated rules but loved guns and teaching me how to be a good man and to own my mistakes and conduct myself with pride and responsibility.
He told me I was getting the M11 and the AK when he died and would have told me if it was a gun that wasn't legal or that I needed to only shoot at buddies houses out in the country instead of the range. He sold the AK to a cousin that was the type that would always have full auto guns and never met a law that he didn't break. None of that's important except he got my AK.
At least I have the M11.
Lots of info none of you needed me to explain but now you might understand why this not so accurate gun is so important to me.
I try to learn something new each day and I've been constantly learning with this gun from the help of all of you and what I can find on Google. I also enjoy helping others and the prices I saw for buffers was ridiculous. It's also pretty cool owning a machine gun with a flash suppressor even if it's fake. It's a machine gun that is fun to shoot as long as I'm not competing or trying to kill dinner

Posts: 18 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It should be extremely easy to tell an actual suppressor from a faux extension by simply looking down the center. If it is smooth from end to end, it’s not a suppressor. I’m guessing that’s what you have if it has the company logo.

I have a faux suppressor that I got with my early semiauto M11 that also fits on my full auto M11. While it provides zero sound attenuation, it does give a handy, safe extension to grip when fun-gunning. In fact, it makes it a lot easier to get multiple rounds on target both by using the crappy factory sights and by point shooting bursts at range out to 7 or more yards. And yes, it’s loads of fun to shoot but gobbles ammo like you would expect at around 1200 rpm’s.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15593 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. It looked petty smooth when I checked for rifling inside. I could only see at the end and didn't get a flashlight but everything about that gun is post 1986. 1985 was the last year for open bolt and auto production. Mine is a 1989 semiautomatic with closed bolt. My buddy that sent his full auto in to get approved and the tax stamp is a 1985. Mine is still a fun gun only being semiauto. Much less expensive to shoot also. Lol

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There wouldn’t be any rifling inside any suppressor. There would be, for lack of a better description, ports that progressively absorb and dampen the gases and sound produced by the explosion of the bullet being fired. Ideally, the bore of a suppressor is only marginally larger than the bullets diameter.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15593 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read about what's in the real supressor. It's a combination of wipers, baffles and I think they had a composit like material in there to absorb the gasses. The new ones have a lot more stuff helping them to absorb the gas from the powder ignition and redirecting the travel of the gasses and obsorbing it. Subsonic bullets are pretty crucial for no sound. I think I remember reading that 9mm subsonic are 147grain with a much heavier bullet to slow it down. It's definitely a science that's been improved a ton with different materials and buffers to help absorb or redirect the gas created from concussion. I've read that people have even used plastic soda bottles for a cheap DIY. It can get as scientifically engineered or as simple as a bottle. Sounds like a lot of work for no good reason unless you are trying to go to jail. I'm good on that, the biggest benefit to the suppressor sounds like that it gives you a place to put your hand to hold the gun without putting a bullet thru it.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have an odd feeling about all of this. Did you ask your question on any other gun boards, or just here?

If you are found in possession of an unlicensed silencer you are in for a world of trouble. Voluntarily surrendering it to law enforcement authorities is the only thing to do.

I'm curious about the screen name you chose. These days, the word "ghost"- in terms of firearms- relates to unregistered guns and here you are, asking us if you are in possession of an unregistered suppressor.

The official answer from the administration of this forum, and the answer that all members will give you is the same: follow the law. If you are unsure of what you have, you need to have it examined in person by someone who is knowledgeable on such matters. You don't need to be sitting at your computer, discussing how silencers work.

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I don't have the slightest idea who you are, nor do I really know your motivations for bringing this to us, and that screen name of yours- in conjunction with your posts- raises questions, and this forum will not be party to any of this.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will respond to your comment as politly as I can. I appreciate your opinion but this is a site for asking questions so people understand better, I thought. My questions are to make sure what I have is in fact legal. There is no place around me that knows anything "officially" about suppressors. I need to learn on my own and I thought maybe someone here could help and not form opinions without even knowing my motivation. Since you seem concerned by my screen name that my M11 is not registered, don't worry so much, it is. All of my other hand guns are also. There are so many other laws someone could break that wouldn't have the consequences that anything with a firearm does. I don't break those either. Hell, I don't even drink. I'm asking questions to gain knowledge. Sorry you don't like my screen name because your brain leads you to thinking I'm breaking the law just by my name. I don't have any cop friends I can ask so maybe if there was one in here that could help instead of the common perception that everyone is breaking the law, that would be great. I think all my questions have been sufficiently answered to give me a direction to follow. Take care and have a great Easter.

posted Hide Post
Just to satisfy your curiosity about my screen name, I hate coming up with a name that isn't me. I chose Ghost Cobray because they are out there, you just never see them. Just like a ghost. Had nothing to do with breaking the law but thank you for teaching me how cops interpret the term ghost. Maybe I should have chosen Paranormal Cobray to avoid suspicion that people get unnecessarily.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My remarks are not opinion. I am owner and administrator of this forum, and as such, I have an obligation- to myself and to the members of this site- to make sure that we do not give even the slightest impression that we might be willing to disobey these laws which apply to the matter at hand.

I asked you to look at this from my perspective. I took the time to express my concerns to you and explained the reasons for these concerns. I could have simply deleted your posts without offering up any explanation. If I had done so and you balked at it, I could have removed you from this forum in a heartbeat, yet, I took an approach which I consider to be fair to all involved parties, and that includes the members who are participating in or merely following this conversation.

Here I am once again, further explaining myself and once again, I am asking you to put yourself in my position.

Do you not believe that certain federal agencies run sting operations in gun forums? And have I not explained to you why all of this raised my suspicions?

You're welcome to stay if you wish but once again I reiterate that my advice to you is to follow the law, and a man who thinks he may be in possession of an unregistered silencer should be taking a different approach to the matter than what we see here. I am giving you good advice and despite what you may think, I have treated you more respectfully than some other board owners who might find themselves in the position I do today.

posted Hide Post
Parabellum,
I appreciate your concern and trying to be as respectful as you could. I follow all laws pertaining to firearms. My supressor has no serial number or anything but the Cobray logo. I've actually spoken with Cobray and I was told it's a fake suppressor that they also made to hold onto the weapon better. At no point did I think it was a real suppressor because it did nothing to the sound, just made it easier to shoot. It's mearly a collectable for me and nothing more. I do appreciate all the responses from everyone. I am constantly learning with this M11 and have gotten info that I needed to check with someone knowledgeable to verify. I.E. Cobray. I am satisfied from what I've learned that my suppressor is not an actual suppressor/silencer. It's actually considered a barrel extension to help with shooter saftey. Suppressors have a serial number and some also have a model number. Mine has neither.
Again, I appreciate your concern with a topic that could be considered a problem. I wish I lived in a state that automatic wepons were legal after being authorized by the ATF and paying a tax stamp to own legally. My M11 is not that gun.
I joined this group just to try and see if anyone wanted easy install buffer pads at a much lower price for this gun and to simply ask a few questions I didn't know. I was happy to get the info I did so I could make sure I don't have an illegal anything. If you will feel better at night to delete any or all conversations in this thread, please do, I would not have been upset or complained. If you feel like removing me from the group, I will not be offended or take it personally. I don't know you or anyone else in this group. I don't take things personally that aren't. Again, thanks to all that responded and the questions that were provoked. I took steps to answer them for myself. I may have come across like I didn't care about laws. That's completely untrue and I apologize if anyone felt that way. Take care going forward.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just take it easy. If I wanted to remove you, you'd be gone. I told you that you are welcome to stay and I have no reason to say such a thing if it wasn't true. If you understand my concerns and my obligations, nothing else needs to be said.