SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    So I could use a little insight on a .30cal suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I could use a little insight on a .30cal suppressor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
He said you can use it on other, smaller calibers but your noise suppression is not as good. Which makes sense.

This is incorrect. I toured the Thunderbeast factory and discussed cans at length with the tech who gave the tour. I also shoot the breeze with Zak Smith (Thunderbeast owner) at precision rifle matches. Through a lot of testing, Thunderbeast has determined that there is an imperceptible difference in noise for using a larger-hole can on a smaller-bore rifle.

I have a TBAC Ultra-9 with a 308 bore, and I use it for both my 308 and 6.5 bolt action rifles. I have also attached it to 6mm bore rifles. The Ultra-9 does a great job suppressing all of them. My Ultra-9 has a direct thread attachment. I have a TBAC 223 can which is direct thread.

I have a Surefire SOCOM 308 can which I use on AR-15s -- both 223 and 300blk uppers. It does just fine with either bore and it suppresses noise equally well with the different bores. My SOCOM can is QD, and I have either brakes or flash hiders on the rifles that use the SOCOM. The QD works well.

Zak Smith originally stated that precision rifles should have the direct thread for repeatability. This past year he stated TBAC now has a QD mount that is repeatable as direct thread. I can't speak for the repeatability of other QD mounts. However, the SOCOM QD mount seems to be very consistent, especially with all the movement I do with it between rifles.

I've never had issues removing any of my 3 cans when hot, cold, or anywhere in between. Understand that cans get a lot hotter than your barrel, therefore always have a thick glove handy when shooting with cans.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
He said you can use it on other, smaller calibers but your noise suppression is not as good. Which makes sense.

This is incorrect. I toured the Thunderbeast factory and discussed cans at length with the tech who gave the tour. I also shoot the breeze with Zak Smith (Thunderbeast owner) at precision rifle matches. Through a lot of testing, Thunderbeast has determined that there is an imperceptible difference in noise for using a larger-hole can on a smaller-bore rifle.

I have a TBAC Ultra-9 with a 308 bore, and I use it for both my 308 and 6.5 bolt action rifles. I have also attached it to 6mm bore rifles. The Ultra-9 does a great job suppressing all of them. My Ultra-9 has a direct thread attachment. I have a TBAC 223 can which is direct thread.

I have a Surefire SOCOM 308 can which I use on AR-15s -- both 223 and 300blk uppers. It does just fine with either bore and it suppresses noise equally well with the different bores. My SOCOM can is QD, and I have either brakes or flash hiders on the rifles that use the SOCOM. The QD works well.

Zak Smith originally stated that precision rifles should have the direct thread for repeatability. This past year he stated TBAC now has a QD mount that is repeatable as direct thread. I can't speak for the repeatability of other QD mounts. However, the SOCOM QD mount seems to be very consistent, especially with all the movement I do with it between rifles.

I've never had issues removing any of my 3 cans when hot, cold, or anywhere in between. Understand that cans get a lot hotter than your barrel, therefore always have a thick glove handy when shooting with cans.

I use my 30 cal can on various rifles, while I cant say if there is a differnce between the same can in a 5.56 only version, I cna say that I can tell a differnce when shooting 5.56 through a 30 cal can with and without a 30 cal end cap. At my ear,(which is what matters to me) a 30 cal can with .224 end cap is quieter thant the same can with .30 end cap. Same is true for my GhostM when shooting on 9mm. Quiter with 9mm end cap thatn with the .45 end cap.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I liked the Omega so much I bought a second one Big Grin I mainly shoot 300 BO and 556 but, am in the process of getting into the .308 market Big Grin. My Omegas have served me well.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since I've been in the market, I have an OPS 12th .30 and its great in performance but the mounts are kind of a pain. I think if I was in the market currently I'd take a strong look at Sigs rifle cans. I'm actually kind of considering a SRD338 for my Lapua.

I often shoot 556 though my OPS 30 can and it sounds good but I've heard guys shoot the ops 556 can with 556 and I recall thinking it was a bit quieter that way. I'd have to actually sit down and do a side by side to be sure.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Sandman long if you want arguably the quietest can on the market.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m happy with my my older Saker in 7.62 and Omega, they’ve both been “upgraded” with Key Mo mounts so I can use what’s arguably a better mounting system made by Dead Air. No issues with either except the Saker is heavy! If I were starting over I think I’d look at a Rugged Micro 30. Very good company to deal with, but so are Dead Air and SiCo.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2cents..... I have a Silencerco Harvester 30 cal can. Works great on my 300 whisper ( I'm old) and 556 AR. Other cams may be quieter, but the light weight Harvester on my T/C Contemder is hardly noticeable.
On the AR it isn't an issue at all.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
I have a direct thread Omega. I cant say enough positive things about the can. I have it on an SSG3000. It is my personally owned duty sniper rifle. The combo with a NF scope will put 5 round groups inside a dime at 100 yards. It is a system and the Omega is just a component of that system but it clearly doesn't degrade accuracy and the noise suppression levels are good. Not as good as the Gemtech HVT's that the other guys have on their dept rifles but it is close and a about 500 pounds lighter than the HVT.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post