SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Omega 300 or OCL Hydrogen S
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omega 300 or OCL Hydrogen S Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
Does anyone have experience with either of these cans? There doesn’t seem to be much available right now, and I can pick up one of these locally. It will be general use, on 5.56, 300 blackout, and 7.62 rifle.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2528 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No direct experience with either can. However, I did meet the guy who owns Otter Creek last weekend, and he was super nice. So I have that to offer. I also shot the Polonium, Polonium K, and OCM5. I have a Polonium, KSGM has an OCM5. There's a small, but growing contingent of Otter Creek fans here. Their stuff is very quiet.

https://pewscience.com/sound-s...ydrogen-l-savage-308

https://pewscience.com/sound-s...-omega300-savage-308

At a quick glance, the Hydrogen smokes the Omega 300. Both are worth a read.

The one thing I can speak to that the article doesn't get into is I've seen Andrew (Otter Creek's owner) say in several places that his warranty is one thing, but he'll fix a can no matter what. If it's clear you tried to destroy the can, he'll charge you to fix it, but short of outright abuse, you're covered no matter what. I've seen people speak to this claim, and it's 100%. I have also seen people say equally amazing stuff about Silencerco taking care of them. I think you're going to wind up with a quality product backed by companies who will take care of you either way.

The Hydrogen-L is both lighter and outperforms the Omega 300 by a fair margin in terms of suppression, but at the cost of much higher backpressure. I couldn't find anything for the Hydrogen-S with Pew, but it's safe to say that with it being shorter and having fewer baffles, you're not going to get the same suppression or the same backpressure as with the L, so they may be pretty close in terms of performance, but the Hydrogen is going to be a fair bit lighter.

Both the S and the 300 were tested at last year's Silence Summit. You can find enough data here to make your eyes bleed. Short version: Hydrogen S is still a better performer.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/

If it were me, I'd get the S, and while I'm not coming into this with no bias, I'm also not a fanboy. I just got my first three suppressors, and they're all different brands. I went for the best performance I could afford in whatever the price range wound up being.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I REALLY appreciate your effort and your input. I have been wanting a Huxwrx Ventum, and have zero luck finding one. A somewhat local shop had those two in stock, the OCL has been there a few days, and the 300 just arrived today. In this market if you wait, it’s gonna be gone. The 300 has a lot of history it seems, and good reviews, and good support. I’ve heard of OCL, and they seem to be a growing company with good reviews as well. It was very light weight. It was marketed as a hunting can, and had some barrel length restrictions (11.5” in 5.56) that made me wonder if it wasn’t as beefy or durable as the 300. I’m not going to be doing mag dumps or anything, I guess I’m just over thinking it.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2528 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think you're overthinking it, at least inasmuch as it having barrel restrictions meaning it's not as durable as the 300. I think it'll also hold up to some mag dumps just fine, it's full auto rated as long as you try to keep the temps down. Being built of thin titanium, it heats up fast, but it also cools down quickly as well. Again, Andrew at Otter Creek stands behind his stuff. As long as it's clear you weren't trying to make the can fail, he's gonna warranty your stuff if something goes wrong. I'd buy with confidence, purely based on what I've seen from him online and how he takes care of customers.

Honestly, you couldn't go wrong either way. I would like the Otter Creek for the weight, and after checking the barrel restrictions, those lengths wouldn't be a problem for me anyways because I wouldn't own any of those in a shorter barrel length than what's listed.

And yeah, manufacturers and dealers are scrambling to keep up. If you want something, either get in the queue, or grab what you can when it's in stock.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post