SIGforum
Anyone filled out a 5320.20 lately?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/7590027494

September 10, 2022, 12:42 PM
Oat_Action_Man
Anyone filled out a 5320.20 lately?
Going to a class in just under two months and want to take two of my SBRs.

Has anyone filled out a 5320.20 lately? What's the turnaround been?

I only ever filed one in the past and they never actually returned me the "permission". Roll Eyes

Want to ensure I actually have the form in hand, since I have to drive through occupied territory and want all Ts crossed and Is dotted.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
September 10, 2022, 02:54 PM
DennisM
Yes. Sent a .pdf version to their suggested e-mail address, received a denial about 2.5 weeks later.

Denied because it involved transiting a state where SBRs/SBSs are verboten. I haven't had the free time and patience to reply that the point of 18 USC 926A is clearly to "cover" those situations, and the status of the firearm (NFA vs GCA) doesn't seem to matter under that statute, but. So, I've come up with a Plan B.

But to answer your question: They can at least turn a "denial" around in 2.5 weeks.
September 10, 2022, 02:57 PM
SigM4
Did a few back around the first of the year. Sent via email and got approval within about 2 weeks.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
September 10, 2022, 03:42 PM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Yes. Sent a .pdf version to their suggested e-mail address, received a denial about 2.5 weeks later.

Denied because it involved transiting a state where SBRs/SBSs are verboten. I haven't had the free time and patience to reply that the point of 18 USC 926A is clearly to "cover" those situations, and the status of the firearm (NFA vs GCA) doesn't seem to matter under that statute, but. So, I've come up with a Plan B.

But to answer your question: They can at least turn a "denial" around in 2.5 weeks.

OK, that's interesting and good to know, since that's my situation, going from free state to free state through three occupied states.

I suppose they know because you have to tell them how it's getting there.

If that's the case, I may just save myself the time of filling out the form if I know it'll just end in a denial.

September 10, 2022, 04:34 PM
rscalzo
The point is that the site of the instruction was in a state that prohibits them.

18 USC 926A would not apply in that case. It would be applicable transporting through that state.

quote:
hall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
September 11, 2022, 03:01 PM
DennisM
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
The point is that the site of the instruction was in a state that prohibits them.

18 USC 926A would not apply in that case. It would be applicable transporting through that state.

In my case, the firearm was legal at origin, legal as detination. Denied solely for the transit state.

Clearly explained in my cover letter and in the form itself. Examiner either didn't read, or believes 926A means something other than what the plain language seems to say.
September 11, 2022, 08:05 PM
Oat_Action_Man
What did you put in your cover letter?

I was under the impression one just emailed/faxed the 5320.20.

September 12, 2022, 06:27 AM
DennisM
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
What did you put in your cover letter?

I was under the impression one just emailed/faxed the 5320.20.

Normally, I wouldn't do a cover. I included one this time to leave no question whatsoever: I intended to travel continuously and without interruption through the troublesome state (it's New Jersey) through to the destination.

It was to attend training where avoiding the drive through NJ was possible, but a PITA. In the end, I a) took my agency-issued SBS instead of my personal gun-- no 5320.20 needed-- and b) did everything else exactly as originally intended, except I didn't get of cycle a few hundred "break-in" rounds through my personal Remington.

I will do some more follow-up with regard to the denial, because I think it's a wildly incorrect application of law/regs, and because Plan B won't be available when I retire.
September 30, 2022, 06:37 PM
greg1147
One month for an email which included two SBR's for
one year. But that was only for transport from VA to WV. I regularly transport them as the range I work at is in WV. My next is my trip to NH. I plan on using the same notification. We will see. Mode of transport will be private vehicle and travel through PA, NY, CT, MA, and NH. Hmm behind enemy
lines LOL

"the soul of a dog is pure"