SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Rimfire handgun you’re particularly happy with edit to add p3 found one
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire handgun you’re particularly happy with edit to add p3 found one Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't let the internet scare you off the older Rugers. If you're at all mechanically inclined they're not that bad. I watched one YouTube video and now I can field strip and re-assemble the thing in less than a minute, every time.

You have my congratulations. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (heck I milled an AR from a block of aluminum, can do a p226 to component parts and back in the dark and similar other silly things), but you could not pay me to maintain an older ruger.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people will turn their nose up at it but the Taurus TX 22 is a good suppressor host. I would have never looked at one until my LGS recommended it. The trigger is good and it hasn't been ammo sensitive at all. Most reviews are very positive. Again, I know it's a Taurus but I like shooting it more than my MkIV.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The rimfire that you will be able to find to shoot suppressed will most likely be the S&W Victory. A solid gun, hi viz sights, threaded barrel. Shortcomings are magazine safety--(easy fix) and skinny slide serrations (needs a charging handle).

As others have suggested--Ruger Mk, S&W Victory or Browning Buckmark are great hosts. Second choice would be a Ruger Target Bull threaded barrel. Finding the right gun at the right price is going to determine your choice.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ruger MKII slabside and a Ruger MKIV 22/45.

I really like the MKII and disassembly isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. It can be tricky but worth it. Re-spring day after many, many rounds…

That said, the MKIV is awesome.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok the challenge has been set, put that back together in 30 seconds. Post the video so we can study it.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Putting those parts together is easy. The piece that’s missing is the PIA to put the pistol back together.
I prefer the Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit rather than the misery of putting that last part in.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure which side of the issue you are on this? And/or the secret sauce you are suggesting.
OP wants a good suppressor host for plinking.
ME: great get a Ruger MIV.
The opposing team: No get an earlier Ruger they are much better.
ME: They suck to take apart and maintain (actual personal experience just FYI).
The opposing team: No they don't we can do it in less than a minute. Take it apart, clean it and put it back together 60 seconds, makes NASCAR pit stops look pathetic.
ME: ok lets see that...
Smile jb

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't think there are "sides" on this...it doesn't affect me personally if somebody buys a MkII or a MkIV, I just think it's shortchanging oneself to write-off a gun design because it requires a specific sequence to take apart and put back together... especially when that older design has some benefits over the newer one. I actually resisted buying a MKII for years because of the horror stories about disassembly, and bought a few inferior guns instead, which ultimately ended up getting sold or traded off at a loss. When I finally bought my MKII and learned how to take it apart, I was annoyed that I'd listened to the naysayers instead of just trying it for myself. I wasted a lot of time and money on the guns that came before, and frankly even my new MkIV has been a lot more problematic than my MkII (there's a thread detailing all that in the pistol section right now if anybody is interested).

What sigfourme is referencing when he says the PITA part is missing from that picture is the mainspring housing. It's not shown in the photo, but installing it is definitely the part of the process that gives folks the most trouble in re-assembling the older Mk-series guns.

I don't have a YouTube channel or way to post videos, but I can describe the sequence. Bear with me a bit as I'm out of town and don't have access to my MkII at the moment, so I'm doing this from memory.

Disassembly:
1. Confirm the gun is clear, point in a safe direction and pull the trigger. I know...it's a rimfire. Trust me, it will be fine. The firing pin retaining pin in the bolt prevents the firing pin from travelling far enough forward to hit the chamber mouth. And if you forget to do this and do step 2 first, you've just created a big mess. You need the hammer forward and mainspring unloaded before you do step 2.
2. Pop/pry open the lever on the mainspring housing to relive the tension, swing it out, and pull the entire housing down and out of the gun.
3. Looking up inside the channel at the back of the frame where the mainspring housing used to be, you can see the hammer strut and a little cross-pin in the frame just below it.
4. Angle the gun muzzle-up to be sure that the hammer strut swings out behind that cross-pin, and pull back on the bolt to remove it from the gun.
5. Press the upper off of the lower and you're done...gun is field stripped. I'm not going to go into taking apart the bolt, as that's the same on the MKIV.

Re-Assembly:

1. Press the upper back onto the lower. It's a tight fit, make sure it's all the way on.
2. Make sure the hammer is back with the strut behind that little cross-pin in the frame.
3. Slide the bolt into the gun.
4. Keeping the muzzle pointed up at about a 30-45 degree angle so that the hammer strut dangles out behind that cross-pin, install the mainspring housing into the back of the gun. The hammer strut should align itself between the little ears on the mainspring housing that guide it right down onto the mainspring plunger.
5. Close the lever on the mainspring housing to lock it into place. Function check and you're done.

The biggest problem people have with these is getting the hammer strut bound up in front of the frame cross-pin instead of behind it. The trick is keeping the gun muzzle-up, which is kind of counter-intuitive as you want to point it muzzle-down to look inside there while you're working on it. If the strut does get in front of that cross pin at some point, just pull the trigger and push the hammer forward with a q-tip or some other implement until the strut clears the pin, and try again.

There are some good youtube videos out there that demonstrate the steps, but my wife is asleep and I don't want to wake her up hunting for them at the moment. They should be pretty easy to find with a quick search. Once you understand how it all goes together and practice it once or twice, it's really not that hard. Certainly not as quick and easy as a MkIV, but not anywhere near as horrible as some of the stories would lead one to believe.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The suppressor host recommendation that hrcjon and I agree on is Ruger MK 4 Target threaded bull barrel. Finding that model will be difficult. The gun that is at a better price point and will be available is the S&W Victory.

Sorry for the thread drift. Hrcjon -- I am on your "side" on putting the mainspring back in. 92fstech good instructions on reassembly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
...Ruger MK 4 Target threaded bull barrel. Finding that model will be difficult.

I have one. It is a Ruger Mark IV Model 40178. I just found quite a few with a google search. Or go to https://ruger.com/products/mar...pecSheets/40178.html and search for a retailer. It is a Sports South Distributor exclusive, so you just need to find an outlet that uses Sports South. Good luck. I love mine.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a Beretta 87 years back. It’s been 100% perfect. Love it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
30mins if I’m lucky, and I’ll not derail the thread any

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
S&W makes nice ones. SW22, M41

That is true. the M41 is a true gem in the .22lr handguns and beautiful to boot and exceptionally accurate. But it’s expensive and you have to get an aftermarket barrel from clark that's expensive to have it threaded. Who would do that for 85% plinking? I'm not sure what you meant by SW22 as that's a victory and it’s an excellent choice. If you meant the older 22A again a nice gun but getting it threaded is a PIA and seems completely counter to the intended use.

You are correct about the threading. This isn’t something I’m ready to spend double for exactly what I want. I’m willing to embrace what readily available.

Again I do appreciate the replies. The thorough discussion of a subject is why I come here with questions.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M21 beretta, 8" OAL can and all. Steel cap welded to the slide, dovetailed, luminous rear sight. Luminous front sight at the end of the can. Case hardened, interrupted threads. Pinned down barrel. The barrel-release lever now locks shut the slide. Extractor and PT22 Taurus mag have been fitted to it. The trigger's over-travel has been removed and with it went the DA option. The thumb safety has been extended and widened. It groups 2" at 25m and it's inaudible at 50m, in wooded hills on a typical day. 16 ozs of perfect trail gun. However, it costs $3000. I'd wanted something like it for decades.

Posts: 6 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 08, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This Model 41 might be my favorite firearm.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a Walter P22, but the slide cracked and I junked it.
My buddy who runs a CCW class used the P22 also and had some break after crazy number of rounds so he switched to a Ruger sr22

After my escapade with the P22, I went to a Ruger 22/45.
I eventually replaced the barrel with. PACLITE upper (now Ruger sells the gun with a lite barrel) and a TACSOL22 can.

The Ruger is a workhouse. Many people have an issue with the cleaning and disassembly procedures, but if you follow he directions it’s not that bad. I eventually removed the mag doo-dad and now I don’t have to point it at the sky, squeeze the trigger part of the directions. The MKIV has eliminated all of that.

BTW get a SS or Ti can-much easier to clean

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Love my Volquartsen Black Mamba. It’s a very smooth shooter.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Had a Ruger Mk II and a Mk III before. Replaced them with two Beretta 71 with threaded bbl. They are great to shoot. Probably the pistol that I shoot most.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Browning Buckmark of this style. https://www.browning.com/produ...uppressor-ready.html
It places bullets on target far better than I am capable of. I also have an older non suppressor ready one that I have been trying to locate a Browning suppressor ready barrel for. I have contacted Browning customer service to no avail. I want to keep the full length pic rail, aftermarket barrels that I have looked into do not supply that option. I must admit though that the suppressor ready pistol is also a relatively rare item, don't often see them on the auction sites, if you find one I highly recommend it.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My current .22s I’m happy with:

Benelli MP 95 E

22/45 LITE

P229 Classic 22

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post