SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Rimfire handgun you’re particularly happy with
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire handgun you’re particularly happy with Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
My use would be 85% range/plinking the rest hunting and pest control.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Either a Ruger 22/45 (not a Lite) or M&P22c, depending on what look you like better.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Ruger MkI, for your purpose. I also love my Ruger Single Six Convertible--my very first gun.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I guess I should clarify this would be suppressed.

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Since hunting and pest control will be part of it Browning Buckmark is what you seek!
https://www.browning.com/produ...uppressor-ready.html

I have an FN 502 that I highly enjoy as well but I can shoot the lights out with my Buckmark compared to the 502.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I have a MkIII 22/45 I'm pretty fond of. It fits my taste and similar use, though I'll admit the Savage MkII FV-SR that shares that suppressor has been getting used a lot more.

https://i.imgur.com/cXsFyMQ.jpg
This model started with two bare picatinny rails, no sights. A few screws to remove the rails, another few to add this mount and the dot, all set.

I'd recommend a MkIV if you go for the Ruger, that's what I'd do if I started over.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have the Savage too. I put mine in a Boyd Varmint stock and a Nikon rimfire scope.
That rifle is an absolute treat. I think I am into the gun, stock, and scope for under $500. Got the gun on sale for like $189.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a MkII and a MkIV. I like them both, but the MkII was better out of the box than the MkIV. I paid $275 for the MkII and it was perfect from day 1.

The MkIV was $600, and I had to re-work the mags to fix an ejection issue and then install a Volquartsen kit to fix a short-stroking problem, delete the stupid mag disconnect, and get the trigger even remotely close to the MkII.

Now that I have the MkIV where I want it, they are both fantastic guns. But were I going to do-over, I'd have probably looked around longer for another MkII to thread as a host.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Ruger mkI, MKIi SS slabside and a MK III 22/45 with pac-lite TB upper. All are great but the 22/45 gets more play as it’s suppressed.

Posts: 10 | Registered: February 06, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a MkIV 22/45 Lite hosting a Dead Air Mask and it is an awesome fun gun. But like 92fstech, I gave it a make-over- replaced the extractor, Volquartsen kit, eliminating the mag disconnect, etc. I had MkIIIs before but I sold them to make the switch to the MkIV because of the ease of field stripping and cleaning. And the Lite came standard with a threaded barrel.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think any of the big '3' sellers the Ruger, Victory or Buckmark are all GTG with solid foundations and robust aftermarkets to support you. Of those I happen to like the Ruger Mk4 22/45 the best. I run it with a dead air mask and its been totally reliable and a mere human can clean it (as is needed in suppressor hosts) without having to watch the video twice to reassemble it (older Rugers). And I've found no real need to pour money in it to fix anything and my use is just about yours. You can dump serious money in all these but why for plinking. I do run the new SIG but I've not enough rounds to trust it or provide any commentary. Its easy enough to suppress and doesn't do anything bad and its got big mags.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I’ll keep my eyes open for one of the new Rugers, the cleaning issue hadn’t really occurred to me.

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The older line of S&W 422/622/2206's - get one in 2", 4" or 6". Every sample I've had the pleasure to shoot runs 100%. The triggers were way better than the Ruger's, and I own a couple of those too. The low barrel axis (lower part of slide) also makes them one of the best suppressor hosts out there. You can run any .22 suppressor with the standard sights, negating having to put on tall sights.

Flat, well made American gun. Mags are pricey but reliable 10 or 12 rounders.

If you want something that takes the brain back a bit, transferring you to another time....grab a shooter condition Colt Woodsman or Huntsman.

Honestly, I bought the Ruger's since they are damn good guns. They just don't have "the feels".

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that a 422/622 wouldn't work and they are nice guns since the aftermarket gives you a way to have a threaded barrel, but how does one put a suppressor on a Woodsman?

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
buy one priced right, have a gunsmith move the front sight back a bit and thread the end of the barrel. I've seen a few of these....I won't do it to mine though. I just like walking the woods with a gun made 100 years ago, still doing the work it was built to do.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a pretty cruel person that would muck with a woodsman.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I’ll keep my eyes open for one of the new Rugers, the cleaning issue hadn’t really occurred to me.

Don't let the internet scare you off the older Rugers. If you're at all mechanically inclined they're not that bad. I watched one YouTube video and now I can field strip and re-assemble the thing in less than a minute, every time. You just have to understand how everything inside works together and follow the proper sequence.

I have multiple uppers for my MkIV, so the ability to switch them out quickly at the range is nice, but if you're only worried about cleaning, the MkI-III are just fine.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
S&W makes nice ones. SW22, M41.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I heart my CZ Kadet.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
S&W makes nice ones. SW22, M41

That is true. the M41 is a true gem in the .22lr handguns and beautiful to boot and exceptionally accurate. But its expensive and you have to get an aftermarket barrel from clark that's expensive to have it threaded. Who would do that for 85% plinking? I'm not sure what you meant by SW22 as that's a victory and its an excellent choice. If you meant the older 22A again a nice gun but getting it threaded is a PIA and seems completely counter to the intended use.