SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Length vs weight (rimfire)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length vs weight (rimfire) Login/Join 
medlem
posted
I've narrowed down my rimfire choices to three options, and I guess I need a bit of help here. Looking around various Internet searches where people have asked which suppressor to choose inevitably boils down to people just saying which suppressor they have. It would seem that validating a purchase is more important to admitting to any sort of buyer's remorse. Therefore, I'll ask a bit of a different question.

This will be used on both a pistol and a rifle equally. I'm down to the Dead Air Mask, Thunder Beast 22TD, and Q El Camino. What is more noticable, length, weight, or a combination of the two? I was leaning strongly towards the DA Mask, and like that it's the shortest at 5.1", but it's also the heaviest at 6.6 oz. The El Camino is the opposite. Longest at 5.9" and lightest at 4.3 oz. The TB 22TD is in the middle at 5.6" and 5.9oz. Is shorter or lighter preferred? Or are these all close enough where it doesn't matter?

I'm also open to any other factors or personal recommendations you'd like to throw at me, as this will be my first suppressor purchase.

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
You are not going to notice an ounce difference in weight or an inch difference in length on a rimfire can. I can hardly tell its there at all. Get the one that sounds the best, easiest to clean, etc. I choose the Mask and would buy another one tomorrow.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
So for perspective, I have several rimfire cans, none of which you're looking at, so let me try to be an unbiased source. And to your point, I do have buyer's remorse about buying a SilencerCo Micro Osprey. Not that it's not a decent can, just kind of pointless.

As David W mentioned you won't notice the weight/length difference between those three. I only have experience with the Mask, but can attest that it's a good design and a good can. The only other one I'd throw out if I was looking right now (and I am, always) would be the Rugged Oculus.

Truth be told most of the rimfire cans out there right now are pretty good. I worry about user serviceability (how easy it comes apart) and materials used (I prefer SS or better for the internals for cleaning purposes) along with the normal specs of sound reduction, weight, etc.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You need 2 rimfire cans, minimum.

A long one (Mask, Sparrow, what have you) for a rifle, and a shorter one for a pistol.

I have an original Sparrow (aluminum vs the newer SS build) which is great on everything, but it's a bit long for a pistol.

The local shop had a HunterTown Arms B22 (I know, not the greatest company) but man it is a short can - I love it on pistols and shorter rifles - not as effective, mind you - but much more usable on a smaller 22 pistol.

I almost bought a Micro Osprey instead of the B22, but the price point and some of the timing issues in setting up the Micro didn't turn me one (that and the local shop was out of stock at the time).

Granted, the B22 is small, at 3.75 inches and 2.7 ounces. None of the ones you mention will be that much different.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You need 2 rimfire cans, minimum.

A long one (Mask, Sparrow, what have you) for a rifle, and a shorter one for a pistol.

So is that where the Oculus would come into play? Sounds like I should be adding that into my final list...

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeV:

So is that where the Oculus would come into play? Sounds like I should be adding that into my final list...

I've never been that caught up on length of the can on a pistol, but as you note the Oculus allows you to shrink down the overall can should you so choose. On top of that everyone I know that owns a Rugged can has been very pleased with them thus far.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. I just went and plunked my money down on the Rugged Oculus. He won't have it in stock for several more weeks, then the long wait begins. I figure if I'm waiting for months anyhow, what's a few more weeks to get the one I want.