SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Good reasons to NOT use a silencer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good reasons to NOT use a silencer? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Dwill104,
I agree that my prioritization of silencers is somewhat unique. I see them as value added, do my best to cater guns to them, and seek to procure certain new guns with them in mind. As a silencer user yourself, do you typically use one on your "go-to" rifle?
I am a fan of the gate-latch and collar fastener mechanisms, for use with NATO-spec devices. My friends without silencers remove their crush washers, and it's good-to-go. Of course I check alignment.

I normally only use my suppressors on SBRs where the added length and weight aren’t as much of an issue, not so much on 16” barrels and up. Other than for my Rugged Oculus 22 can, I don’t use direct thread, and even with that only on .22LR guns. The one time I tried using it on a centerfire gun (a 5.7x28 CMMG), it started coming unscrewed and I had an endcap strike. I usually prefer Griffin taper mounts for my centerfire cans, and swap out the factory muzzle devices for various Griffin mounts, preferring their flash hider mounts for shooting unsuppressed when I want. The majority of my suppressor use is on SBR PCCs in 9mm using 3 lug mounts. For centerfire rifle, it’s mostly limited to a PWS Mk111 5.56 upper on a SBR lower or a .300 BO SBR.

Posts: 2604 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anubismp,
You bring up some great points. The .50 and .338LM examples are great additions to the legitimate exemptions, in my opinion. Those weapons' purposes have you either so far from your intended target that your signature is a non-issue, or in such a high-profile engagement (.50BMG anti-material application), that the signature is again a non-issue.

The AUG falls firmly in the length exemption parameters, for your use-case. That gun can very likely be successfully suppressed though. I have found that, so long as spare parts are available, one can tinker with things in an effort to limit gas flow, or encourage gas exhaust, to promote better silencer behavior. That would of course be in a suppressed-all-the-time scenario, as these modifications aren't quick to undo, which eliminates the possibility of a QD can, which doesn't mesh well with your use-case. But I still thought it worth mentioning. The same goes for your 553; all (that I have messed with) Swiss barrels are timed to be swappable. So, you could get a threaded 552/3 barrel to allow silencer use on your 553, while preserving your factory barrel. With the right valve, the 553 is a badass weapon with a can. Of course historic and collectible items are off the table, and they typically aren't falling into the practical application category anyway; as much as I love silencers, I am not trying to modify my MAS36/51 to utilize a can.

Posts: 578 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I've been playing with a suppressor gas plug for my aug and have a US thread barrel for it. It functions but is quite loud still with port pop from the gas system. I can cut off the gas but then it doesn't cycle. More experimentation is needed and I need to play with and research the gas system more as I haven't spent a ton of time on it compared to my understanding of other systems. I also have an MDRx which is a very easily suppressible bullpup and it ran well with the can on it so it kind of pulls me up short for how much time and effort I want to put into messing with the AUG.

I need to look more into the 553 barrels as I haven't even really peeked much under the hood on that gun. If it is end user swappable I might.

I also have a B&T APC300 and I've considered picking up a 12" 556 barrel for it and running it in that setup. I run it with my 9 can which is short but then I'm stuck with subs. I could also chop the handguard or get a different one as my rifle can is a prehistoric 2pc reflex mount can. Im also in the process of looking at getting around to maybe getting another rifle can that more updated and flexible. Lots of things to consider.

Posts: 2685 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The AUG is never going to be that quiet, just because of the ejection port and action location, in relation to your ear. I had an AUGA3 with a 9mm conversion kit; even with subsonic 9mm, it was unbearably loud at the shooter's ear.

The 553 barrel is not what most would deem "user swappable". It requires a fixture to hold the receiver properly. It is doable though.

Posts: 578 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For centerfire rifle, it’s mostly limited to a PWS Mk111 5.56 upper on a SBR lower or a .300 BO SBR.

Dwill,
Do you consider either of those your "go-to" carbine?

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Aside from the obvious additional bulk, I see no reason not to suppress any gun.

The market is flooded with options so compromises can be minimized if you do your homework.

Posts: 4602 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post