SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Broken bolt catch release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken bolt catch release Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
I managed to break my bolt catch release last month. Noveke upper, BCM medium charging handle otherwise factory, Rock River Arms lower. Significant round count, mostly suppressed. I replaced with a maritime Geissele bolt catch release. It seems the bolt catch breakage is common on 9 mm or AR 10. Just checking with forum to see if this happens on suppressed AR’s?

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never heard of it being a common problem, suppressed or unsuppressed, no matter what the caliber.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It is more common on pistol caliber ARs when a longer buffer or spacer is not used, allowing the buffer to travel farther rearward, then gain momentum / speed before hitting the bolt hold open faster than usually. A longer and heavier buffer will reduce / eliminate this in pistol caliber ARs.

If you have a suppressed AR that is overgassed (centerfire rifle), I can see a potential for the bolt to hit back with excessive speed and bounce forward faster, possibly causing the same result, but it is not at all common IME.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post