SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Bore evacuators and silencers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore evacuators and silencers Login/Join 
posted
The new PWS UXR modular rifle has a bore evacuator on the barrel assembly. I believe Gemtech has done this as well, in their Integra upper; the evacuator being part of the gas block. When a silencer is applied, would it not render the evacuator more-or-less ineffective? I think the evacuator would have to be at the muzzle end of the silencer itself, for it to evacuate effectively. But then, if it's truly effective, every round would have "first round pop".

The way I understand it, bore evacuators are used in tanks, to ensure that gasses don't exhaust into the tank's interior, upon reloading of the gun. I see the appeal of this design in small arms; a suppressed rifle is where it would be the biggest boon, but also perhaps the hardest to implement.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bore evacuator has to be near the firing end of the barrel to work. it stores and pushes gas out the barrel with fresh air coming into the barrel via the breech. It couldn't work at the end. The UXR pages don't mention it so no comment on that. The gemtech in hops pictures leaves me a bit confused on how it works as it looks like there is only the one hole in the barrel for the gas system to feed the bolt.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like he says in the video: it's a "novel design". Novel doesn't always mean effective. I appreciate any novel effort, especially when it comes to a silencer's integration into a rifle. This effort, however, seems a futile one.

I really don't know if he did enough critical, comparative testing to be able to say anything about the darn thing. Where it all falls apart, IMO is their decision to not make it a dedicated-suppressed upper. Why the hell wouldn't you reduce the gas port, and recommend that it be used with Gemtech or another brand's flow-through silencers? The market for this thing is folks who are super nerdy about silencers; why would you neuter the thing to grant it broader application?

I was hesitant in my initial approach to this video, due solely to the fact that it's a post-S&W product. The previous iteration was the Integra upper: a dedicated-suppressed assembly that probably better-utilizes this novel idea.

posted Hide Post
Angstadt Vanquish
Look at this one, which stores the gas in the "suppressor" tube and dumps it back into the barrel. This is 9mm so there is no gas path into the gun except via the barrel.
Review on forgotten weapons and TFB.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post