SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Silencer Shop / ATF Issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencer Shop / ATF Issues? Login/Join 
posted
Wondering if anyone else is hearing reports of Silencer Shop having issues with the ATF in terms of certifying eForm 4s.

I've been trying to get past the "Prepared and Ready to Certify" step in the Silencer Shop process since June 11th. I've emailed SilencerShop and they say that my FFL needs to walk me through certifying the form. Every time my FFL does that it fails.

The latest text from my FFL tonight was: "What silencer shop is now telling me is that it’s not on there end it’s and issue that they are having with the ATF. So what they told me is that they don’t have a solution for me. I’ve been on the phone with the NFA branch of the ATF and they don’t have any answers for me. I’m trying to balance doing this for you and other customers that are having the same issue"

It sounds like an issue that others might be affected by.

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard accounts of SS having issues in the past with their filing process. I can’t speak first hand to it though. As a dealer I have purchased cans from them for customers, but I do the paperwork on my end rather than having my customers use their kiosks. Sorry I can’t be of more help

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine Silencer Shop can communicate with the right people, and get the problems sorted out. There is the potential for eform problems in more than one way, apparently; I chronicled my LGS' journey in fixing problems here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...858/m/3490026894/p/1

Edited to add that I know nothing about the SS buying process. The nuances Dwill is describing add a whole other layer of mixup potential.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not be surprised if this is a problem that’s all on the FFL’s end. From my understanding, once it gets to the “prepared and ready to certify” step, that means the dealer has do something. SS isn’t submitting anything to the ATF through eforms. The dealer has to fill out the eForm 4 to the point that’s it’s ready for you to certify. The dealer has to go into their SS dashboard and hit the button that fills out the eForm 4 with all of the information, and only after that is done can he contact the buyer to certify. All of this is outside of the ATF. There isn’t any ATF involvement until the eForm actually gets submitted (or tries to get submitted), which is after certification.

OP, have you actually certified with your ATF userID and PIN (not just docusigned some SS pdf). If you haven’t, this is an issue between SS and your dealer.

Also, just a note about the SS kiosks. All they do is take your prints and other info and send them to SS to set up your profile with SS. They have absolutely nothing to do with actually filling out or submitting forms to the ATF.

Posts: 3403 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
OP, have you actually certified with your ATF userID and PIN (not just docusigned some SS pdf). If you haven’t, this is an issue between SS and your dealer.

I think you have it right. To answer your question, all I've done is docusign some pdfs. I've done a bunch of screen sharing sessions with my FFL using the SS website to confirm my info and sign the docs, but every time we do it the process fails and my FFL says, "I need to call SS and see what's going on." I haven't made it to a step in the process where I need to provide my userID and PIN.

Posts: 130 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like I’m not alone. Over twenty 1-star reviews since the beginning of May.

SS Reviews

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Glad I just did the paper form!

Posts: 7733 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post