SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Practicality of suppressing 10mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practicality of suppressing 10mm Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I've purchased 4 10mm firearms recently and will likely get 2 more.

Included in that is a nice PCC that would be great to suppress, but have always thought 10mm brought marginal gains as far as suspension goes.

My thought was to use the same can on several 9mm firearms I have but is that just wasting potential?

Anyone suppress 10mm before? Used a 40 can? 45?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not your guy on doing it (yet). I'm still!!! waiting for my B&T suppressor to show up for my APC10. But there is nothing even remotely special about 10mm. And the noise penalty for running a larger suppressor on a smaller caliber is generally pretty mild and sometimes the mfg. will give you caliber specific end caps or wipes if you really care.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10965 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not your guy on doing it (yet). I'm still!!! waiting for my B&T suppressor to show up for my APC10. But there is nothing even remotely special about 10mm. And the noise penalty for running a larger suppressor on a smaller caliber is generally pretty mild and sometimes the mfg. will give you caliber specific end caps or wipes if you really care.

So did you go with their 40 cal suppressor?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The APC10 is trilug so the options are limited, so yes its in .40. If I could find a trilug adapter to something else I would happily run a different option that's actually available. Same problem for the APC45.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The dealer I bought my cans from said if I wanted to suppress a 10mm I should go with a .45 can. The .40 cans can't handle the pressure.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every can I have ever bought came with a list of acceptable calibers, barrel lengths and sometime velocities and firing rates. There aren't very many .40 cans but the mfg will surely tell you what are the acceptable things to shoot in it. If they say 10mm is OK in the configuration you are using then I would conclude its ok. That said the downside of using a .45 can is minimal. But of course the mfg. still needs to say full power 10mm is in the list of OK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
For handguns, I just swap in a different piston and use my Osprey 45

You will be surprised how well an overbore suppressor works on sub calibers. My 9MM SWR Trident get used on my 300 Blackout T/C and AR. It also has been used on 22LR pistols (but it is much bigger than a purpose built 22 can)

A few years back the Feds out out feelers for a firearm to replace the aging MP5/10s. We submitted an integrally suppressed AR platform with some 10MM Auto Subsonic 240 JHP ammunition that we had worked up

I had a small run of projectiles produced for the project.

Since the speed of sound is our limiting factor, heavier projectiles is the only way to get more energy

While it was a cool project, it will never go anywhere. Subsonic 230 JHP 45 ACP ammunition is out there so the 10MM Auto carbine does not gain much over the 45 ACP carbine. It is less than 25 pound feet of extra muzzle energy

Now the entire picture changes if you are just trying to alter the sound signature of your teams firearms rather than getting them as quiet as possible.

Using full power 10MM Auto ammunition you can get some energy gains over the 45ACP (almost 200 pound feet or 33% more energy), they just won't be as quiet as possible

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

A few years back the Feds out out feelers for a firearm to replace the aging MP5/10s. We submitted an integrally suppressed AR platform with some 10MM Auto Subsonic 240 JHP ammunition that we had worked up

Out of curiosity why didn't you go with subsonic 300BO over a subsonic 10mm? Isn't the 300BO bullet coefficient far superior to the 10mm? Using both sub and supersonic loads the 300BO outperforms the 10mm yes?

Posts: 787 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Out of curiosity why didn't you go with subsonic 300BO over a subsonic 10mm? Isn't the 300BO bullet coefficient far superior to the 10mm? Using both sub and supersonic loads the 300BO outperforms the 10mm yes?
Easy, the request was for a integrally suppressed 10MM Auto carbine/SMG

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Easy, the request was for a integrally suppressed 10MM Auto carbine/SMG

Gotcha. Do you have any data on how the 10mm suppressed compared to .40 S&W suppressed? It's a different projectile weight of what... 40, 50 grains?

Posts: 787 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post