SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Suppressor ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suppressor ammo Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted
I have two 5.56 cans and am looking at the Yankee Hill dedicated suppressed upper. Looking at training fodder and social purpose ammo for the feeding thereof. Let me know your likes. As always, Thanks in Advance.

Posts: 838 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don't use anything different or special, and I suspect that's probably the case with most folks who shoot a suppressed AR, be it an integral or otherwise. It's not going to be subsonic with any kind of ammunition that's actually going to cycle an AR, you're just taming some of the blast and muzzle flash. I know there is subsonic ammo for .223, but it's not likely to cycle an AR and my question in that case is why even use it? If you're hunting varmints or something, I guess I could see it, but that sounds like a side challenge with reloading for best results.

For whatever it's worth, standard M193 has run very well in my suppressed 5.56's. I have some M855 and some 77gr OTM I haven't tried yet, and while I'm sure they're going to cycle and shoot fine as well, I doubt they're going to sound much different. With an integrally suppressed upper, I can see it being pretty quiet, but you're not going to get around that supersonic crack.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hornady Black HD SBR 75gr Interlock is low flash and a bit underpowered, which can help if the gun's a bit overgassed with regular loads.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I don't bother making any special ammo for my suppressed rifles. I still make basic 55gr FMJ-BT-WC rounds. For my suppressed PCC, I'll make 147gr subsonic.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post