SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Approvals, now what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approvals, now what? Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
Okay, so I've received approvals on Form 1 SBRs and Form 4 Suppressors.

I can print the forms with the approvals. Do I need to wait for the mailed stamps to build my SBRs or use my suppressors? I got the receivers engraved yesterday. Do I need to keep the paperwork with the SBRs or suppressors at all times?

Anything else I should know?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6127 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That you're indicating you can print your 'Approvals' I'm assuming eForms, and if that's the case you won't be getting any 'Stamps' in the mail. Unfortunately eForms are electronic only, so you have all you need, and all you're gonna get! Receiving actual 'Tax Stamps' would require a paper form submission, and have a MUCH longer approval/wait time, more than a year in some (many?) cases!

And yes, you're supposed to have a copy of the 'Form' w/ the NFA firearm or suppressor at all times!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I keep a printed copy of each approval with the item in question. I also keep a digital copy on my phone in case I have no reception and somehow don’t have a physical copy, but there is no way in hell I’m handing over my unlocked phone to an LEO or ATF, that’s a “you can look only” situation. Also important to know that you’re only legally required to “show your papers” to anyone but an actual ATF or IRS agent.

Good idea to backup those emails as well. If they accidentally get deleted or you lose access to your account, you’re out of luck, they’re not going to re-send them.

But yeah, you have everything you need, just keep a copy of each form with you and off you go!

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks all!

Based on what I was reading at the ATF web site, that is my understanding as well.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6127 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Also important to know that you’re only legally required to “show your papers” to anyone but an actual ATF or IRS agent.

I thought we went over this on a previous thread and came to the conclusion that any LEO can ask to see your stamps? Confused

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Also important to know that you’re only legally required to “show your papers” to anyone but an actual ATF or IRS agent.

I thought we went over this on a previous thread and came to the conclusion that any LEO can ask to see your stamps? Confused

Any LEO can ask to see you stamps, but there’s no stated federal required to show them to anyone but an ATF agent.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...0being%20transported.

That said, me showing my stamps to a local or state LEO on demand would be situational. How and why I was approached about it would dictate whether I’d be willing to just show them my stuff or whether I would tell them to call for an ATF agent from the local field office. I don’t always necessarily want to attract the attention of the feds, specially to prove a point, but if the officer was being a complete dick, I just might. My parents were cops, I grew up with cops, I support law enforcement, but I also know there are some genuine shitheads who wear the badge, and I am willing to exercise my rights. If I’m approached in a cool and reasonable manner, I see no need to make an issue of it.

Now, I haven’t encountered it yet first hand, but I think I’m leaning towards telling any range officer to pound sand if I’m told I have to show my papers. I’m not in the business of supporting ranges that play junior G Men.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, me showing my stamps to a local or state LEO on demand would be situational.

This thread isn't the real place for this discussion but here goes. In many States the way the law on NFA items is drafted is they are prohibited UNLESS you have NFA approval.
Here's an example of the law where I live NFA item is prohibited and possession is a crime unless "acquired, transferred or possessed in accordance with the National Firearms Act, as amended..." So any local/State LEO can charge you with crime if you cannot produce the necessary NFA paperwork.
YMMV, Your State may vary, but you need to check if you actually have the option to say no without consequences. Absolutely NOTHING to do with Federal law.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Do I need to keep the paperwork with the SBRs or suppressors at all times?

NO

While you are required to prove registration to any BATFE agent that demands it, Federal Law does not state that you must keep a copy of the paperwork with you. Here is te text from the Federal website:
The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]

Remember that a Form 1 or a Form 4 is a paid tax receipt. Tax documents are protected under the Privacy Laws

Now if you choose to carry a copy with you and show it to whomever asks you for it that is of course your decision

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5214 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to repeat what I wrote above. The Federal and State answers are potentially not linked and the above 'no' may be very bad advice in your State.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post