SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    22LR can recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22LR can recommendation Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
What would you guys recommend for a 22LR can?

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two top ones always mentioned are the Dead Air Mask and Rugged Oculus. I have the Oculus, and am very happy with it, but can’t say anything either way about the Mask.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I have a Banish 22. I really love it!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walker - I have two Silencerco Sparrows and two Dead Air Masks.

Since getting the Dead Air Mask suppressors we have not used the Sparrows. We LOVE our Dead Air Masks - No FRP with the Mask suppressors as compared to the Sparrows.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the SilencerCo Sparrow 22. A very nice suppressor that is reasonably priced.

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the mask the oculus and the surefire personally. a couple of each. Plus I've shot a bunch of other stuff with friends.
Of those three the mask is the best suppressor overall when you consider all the relevant factors. You can't go wrong with one. BUT and its a big BUT Dead Air as a company has melted down in the customer support area with the debacle of the Sierra 5 introduction. (Lots of discussion on that in this forum). I wouldn't buy one of their products till they demonstrate they can take care of people with issues. Chance of issues with a mask low but non zero. Buy the oculus and be totally happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Silencerco Switchback. My brother has the Sparrow, and the Switchback is noticeably quieter, but it does cost more. The benefit is its different configurations.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Why you probably shouldn't buy a Dead Air can.

The Mask always gets recommended. Since Dead Air shit the bed, other companies have specifically gunned for their most popular models, including the Mask. Otter Creek released their aptly named "Titanium" in December, and I'm seeing great stuff about it. Spec-wise, it is basically a Mask, but 4oz instead of 6oz. They're the same length, same diameter, same price, and Otter Creek won't leave you with your dick in your hand if something goes wrong with it.

https://ottercreeklabs.com/product/titanium/

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220Smudge we can count on you to know the absolutely latest and greatest of anything. But that one doesn't look like its yet in the retail channel. And for sure doesn't seem to have one testing it...

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

VS the Rugged Oculus (on the left) - deeper tone.

https://www.silencershop.com/o...abs-titanium-22.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/c...ek_labs_titanium_22/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/c..._and_specs_overview/

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220Smudge can I hire you for my can research? (Current lust is the B&T with the surefire HUB mount...hint) In any case the video to me looks like other than weight the oculus was the winner. on availability I just reflected the ottercreek link you had above. if its in the market and readily available interesting choice. I like Ti. But heat is the death and on .22's that's not a super big issue. If I needed another one I'd look at this one.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
In any case the video to me looks like other than weight the oculus was the winner.

I dunno, he said they were about the same to his ear in terms of loudness and the Otter Creek had a lower tone. The thing the Oculus has going for it over the Otter Creek, at least to me, is the modularity if one wants that. Otherwise, they seemed pretty close.

Also interested in this discussion because I also want to get a .22 can going. May get one started as early as this week.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Why you probably shouldn't buy a Dead Air can.

The Mask always gets recommended. Since Dead Air shit the bed, other companies have specifically gunned for their most popular models, including the Mask. Otter Creek released their aptly named "Titanium" in December, and I'm seeing great stuff about it. Spec-wise, it is basically a Mask, but 4oz instead of 6oz. They're the same length, same diameter, same price, and Otter Creek won't leave you with your dick in your hand if something goes wrong with it.

https://ottercreeklabs.com/product/titanium/

I already have a Wolfman and it's been fine

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I already have a Wolfman and it's been fine

That wasn't the point of that thread, or my mention of it. If you buy a Mask, it'll probably also be fine. It's a matter of what kind of business practices you want to support.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I settled on the Rugged Oculus. My dealer has a slightly used one for a really good price.

posted Hide Post
You will be completely happy on that he says from lots of personal experience.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Get a SS or TI can. (Both the occlus or dead air mask are)They are much easier to clean than an Aluminum one.

22cans are very dirty and a bitch to clean. You can use chemicals on the TI or SS ones that can’t be used on Al.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Capitol Armory is selling the Rugged Oculus for $415. Silencer Shop is selling it for $399. Both have transfers available to your state of Missouri.
I would expect a "used" price to be $350.....
Still have to pay the $200 tax stamp thru any dealer.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sucks to hear this about the Dead Air Mask. No issues with mine, but only a couple hundred rounds on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 03, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrBa:
Sucks to hear this about the Dead Air Mask. No issues with mine, but only a couple hundred rounds on it. Thanks for the heads up.

No one is complaining about the Mask. The main issue with Dead Air is the issue with the Sierra 5 and their response to it. Nothing wrong with the Mask.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post