SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Can you use a piston mount on fixed barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you use a piston mount on fixed barrel? Login/Join 
posted
Can use a piston with fixed barrel. Will it damage anything

Posts: 556 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can. Using a spring piston mount will just result in the suppressor slamming around when you fire. Just get a fixed barrel spacer that replaces the spring in your mount, and it will work fine using the piston.

Posts: 3382 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you use a piston mount on fixed barrel?

No, not a good idea. Rugged sells a fixed barrel spacer that replaces the spring.

Posts: 14132 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 threaded pistols 9mm that I use the piston mount with. I also have a threaded vz 61 in 32 acp. I have the dead air fixed mount . Since 32 generates much less gas than the 9mm. I thought i might be able to use the piston mount with it. Thanks PS I would not use the piston mount on a 9mm carbine for example

Posts: 556 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the fixed barrel spacer or a fixed mount, why even risk the expensive toy that you had to pay $200 extra and wait 10 months for?

Posts: 3382 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
When using the fixed spacer, is there still a chance of the suppressor "walking off"? Where you'd have to check & twist it back on?

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1055 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Direct thread suppressors (which is essentially what a piston with a fixed barrel spacer turns into) always have some chance of loosening, and should be checked for tightness periodically.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

posted Hide Post
and the fixed barrel spacer makes no difference in that. Direct thread suppressors even with a piston need to be checked for tightness.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11091 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I do have a fixed barrel spacer, but recently purchased a fixed barrel semiauto, so I'll probably have to get a trilug to keep it more secure.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1055 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:
Thank you. I do have a fixed barrel spacer, but recently purchased a fixed barrel semiauto, so I'll probably have to get a trilug to keep it more secure.

Having used both..Tri lug is the way.

Posts: 14132 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rbdub474
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by BucFan:

Having used both..Tri lug is the way.

This.

Posts: 840 | Location: East Central MO | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post