SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Need Help Choosing a 30 cal Suppressor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Choosing a 30 cal Suppressor Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I've finally decided to take the plunge and get a suppressor for my 8.5" 300 blackout pistol.

I'm looking at the Q Thunder Chicken, Rugged Alaska 360, and YHM Resonator R2.

What say ye?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I would get something that is HUB compatible. That way you won't be beholden to ONE mount ecosystem. HUXWRX Ventum looks good if you want flow-through and is HUB compatible. The flows throughs will NOT have the best sound performance, however.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak to those, but I’m very happy with my Dead Air cans. I use their Nomad Titanium on my rifles; I also have a Wolfman in NFA jail.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m going to second this suggestion and also add the SiCo Velos to the list. I’d definitely look into HUB compatible cans (the way it attaches to your host).

quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I would get something that is HUB compatible. That way you won't be beholden to ONE mount ecosystem. HUXWRX Ventum looks good if you want flow-through and is HUB compatible. The flows throughs will NOT have the best sound performance, however.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Resonator R2 is HUB compatible. That makes the decision easy then.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's only going to be used on the .300, you may consider something lighter and/or shorter. You can get away with that, so long as you stay subsonic.

Hard to beat the Resonators. Maybe go with the "K", if you don't have plans to use it on other calibers and/or supersonic. The durability will be there, with the "K", but the sound reduction would be poor on anything not subsonic.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I can’t speak to those, but I’m very happy with my Dead Air cans.

I'm going to speak up and say their rifle cans have been shitting baffles this years. They have given no public statement on it and have gone so far as to delete their social media accounts. If you got a good one, you got a good one, but they've had hundreds of new production cans totally fail this year and as of now, I recommend against buying Dead Air, and I'll do it every time I see them suggested on this forum until they step up and help their customers.

Posts: 17133 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I think the 360 is really cool because it is fairly light and you can use it on damn near anything. Rugged's mounting system is nice IMO.

It is a large can but the volume means it should sound decent on anything. I like how they made it a little bit fatter too keep OAL down.

Their marketing certainly works on me. I'll report back when I get a chance to try it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
their rifle cans have been shitting baffles

The baffles have been coming loose/are being struck inside the can?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 5 has been the main culprit. Supposedly some of the Sandman series have issues, but I can speak to it. I’ve got a Sierra 5 that I got about six months ago. Just got a chance to test it last week. No worries so far.

[/QUOTE]
The baffles have been coming loose/are being struck inside the can?[/QUOTE]

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I'm going to speak up and say their rifle cans have been shitting baffles this years. They have given no public statement on it and have gone so far as to delete their social media accounts. If you got a good one, you got a good one, but they've had hundreds of new production cans totally fail this year and as of now, I recommend against buying Dead Air, and I'll do it every time I see them suggested on this forum until they step up and help their customers.

Damn. First for me to hear of that. I'll keep an eye out for this.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Damn. First for me to hear of that. I'll keep an eye out for this.

I have spoken with a couple NFA dealers in my area. The current DA Sierra-5 situation is very, very bad. Apparently there's like $2mill in inventory waiting to be x-rayed. Dealers are furious.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
At least I don't have one of those! I have a Nomad Ti, Mask, and a Wolfman in NFA jail.

So far the 2 I have are great.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
For .300 BO, I have a Dead Air Wolfman and their new Mojave in jail.

The Mojave uses a new baffle system that looks very interesting and supposedly makes a lower-pitched sound than a normal suppressor.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my wolfman and with the right mount is OK for .300BO. But its not really ideally a rifle suppressor. No idea at this point if the Mojave will suffer like the Sierra 5 as its clear the new construction method is likely the source of those problems. Since we are wondering way off the reservation beyond the specific choices that the OP asked about, I'll toss in my first choice as always is to get a surefire if they make what you need. In this case the 300socomsps is perfect. like all surefire products it will be best in class on reliability and durability.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! I pulled the trigger on the Resonator R2. Getting my trust finalized and then I'll go hit the kiosk to get it moving.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a DA Sandman on the Scar. Been happy with it.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The baffles have been coming loose/are being struck inside the can?

Coming loose, and even crumbling apart into tiny pieces and falling out. They're calling it "The Maraca" on the NFA subreddit.

Posts: 17133 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Thanks for the input! I pulled the trigger on the Resonator R2. Getting my trust finalized and then I'll go hit the kiosk to get it moving.

Looked this one up & more reasonably priced that I was expecting.
I'm thinking a 300BO pistol will be my next, so it's good to see it won't be a huge $$ outlay to add a can to it, compared to the $1k+ I was expecting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May want to consider the Griffin Explorr 300, especially if you’re looking to keep weight down on a short barrel .300 BO.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post