SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Silencer-associated visible signatures
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencer-associated visible signatures Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think this is the article...

https://smallarmsreview.com/the-hk21e-machine-gun/

We like to have beef with companies like HK and KAC, but I think they've done some awesome stuff in the realm of small arms development, in the 80s, 90s, and into the 21st century. They just don't seem to care much about the commercial side of the industry, so they catch hell for limited availability and high prices.

I've been lucky enough to get some time behind a few belt-fed guns, the HK21E being one of them. The HK really is a superb gun. It oozes quality and ruggedness. It's two machine guns in one, 5.56 and 7.62, what's not to love? It is a bit heavy, in 5.56 configuration, when compared to things like the M249 or MK46, but it's arguably much better. The closed bolt operation may be a point of controversy, but the linked article has something to say about it: "The HK21E provides a cook-off rate in excess of 1,000 rounds (cyclic), a fact proven by extensive testing, despite some claims that this is impossible from a closed-bolt design like the HK21E."

Man, just skimming through that article again is awesome. It was published originally in 1998; when gun writers weren't always shills, and when gun makers like HK were pushing the envelope.

To make the drift less significant: I have been lucky enough to shoot one of these because a friend has one; a friend who I hope to convince to put a silencer on the thing one day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To return to the OP intent...

Did some shooting at night recently, as described in the night vision thread. The flash was the only ting to aim at. I was reminded of things I had read about Vietnam; how the dense jungle often made the flash your only good indicator of the enemy's location.

What a humongous advantage a silencer affords, in the flash reduction (and even elimination) aspect.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some tinkering last night, I noticed that, in comparing a SF 556 mini and RC2, on the same gun with the same ammo, the RC2 didn't have any noticeable reduction in flash. I thought the larger silencer would surely have better flash performance. It seems flash reduction is inherent to the design of a silencer, itself, and not necessarily related to internal volume. I'd venture a guess that an excessively long silencer would have better performance, but then you're talking about length/weight tradeoffs that aren't worth it.