SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Shavings in suppressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shavings in suppressor Login/Join 
posted
My brother is having an issue with his Silencerco Omega 45K. I don't have access to it, so cannot see the issue firsthand.

After using the silencer at the range yesterday shooting Ranger 9mm 147gn HP's, when removing it for cleaning he noticed a 'rattle' inside the can. He was shooting a SigP320x and a Glock 26. He shook the can and several pieces of metal fell out. He stated they looked like copper or brass colored, leading him to believe they were shaved from the bullets. He checked the piston, shined a light through it to check the baffles and checked the end cap. He could find no evidence of baffle strikes. It is a .45 can and he was shooting 9's, so where are the shavings coming from and how is it being shaved? He called me for thoughts, and I can't think of anything. I asked him if it was possible they were slag from the internal welds that broke loose? He did not think so, he described them as looking like shavings from the bullet jackets themselves.

Any thoughts? I was thinking misalignment of the can to the barrel, but that should be obvious on a handgun, plus the fact that there is already some leeway from 45 to 9. He said good alignment. He is calling Silencerco Tuesday but called me for ideas. I told him at this point I was at a loss but know someplace that may have some ideas so here it is.

Tony

Posts: 359 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Odds are it is not scrapings that you are looking at, but jacket separation

Many of today's modern hollow points are actually plated projectiles, one of the easy giveaways is if they've referred to , ammunition as being bonded

Perhaps if your brother can fire a round into a jug of water, the recovered projectile might give a hint as to what is going on

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5214 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Agree with colt_saa, so long as he is POSITIVE there is no baffle damage. I've had some ammo have the jacket separate. If I'm shooting close enough to a paper/cardboard target, I've seen where the pieces of jacket hit. Maybe a batch batch of ammo?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree as well that it’s probably parts of the jacket being stripped off.

Bullets I picked up at my range after melting out of the snow cover.

The close range results from shooting 124 grain 9mm Blazer brass. Most of the rectangular shaped marks are just impressions, but I’ve picked embedded jacket material out of a few.

When I contacted a CCI/Speer company rep, he readily admitted that it’s a known phenomenon.

Added:
And if it’s not clear, the above examples have nothing to do with firing the bullets through suppressors. No one who shoots at my range uses pistols with suppressors. The target with all the fragment impressions was fired with a standard Glock 19.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, makes sense.

Tony

Posts: 359 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post