SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Finally getting around to my first suppressor(s) questions and advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally getting around to my first suppressor(s) questions and advice? Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted
I think it's finally time to get into some cans. The S Shop kiosk along with their new barcode system should make the process a little faster and less painful than what it would have been before. I have a dealer not too far away (Maybe 45 min to an hour) who is setup for the kiosk that I can stop in next weekend and go through the process for. Now it's just time to choose the cans.

I want to start with a rimfire and a .30cal, and I would probably do a 5.56 and .45 in the next round.

Rimfire;
I'm looking at the Q Erector. Dang, that thing looks awesome. It would live on my Ruger 22/45 and probably find its way to the M&P 15-22, until I get around to a 10/22 takedown threaded barrel, or someone makes a bolt action in lefty that's setup from the factory for a suppressor.

It's a bit expensive at $470, second choice would be the Q El Camino at $100 cheaper.

.30 Cal;
I'm leaning heavily towards building a .300 BO AR pistol w/ 8.5" barrel loaded with subsonics as a primary "carbine" and having a QD suppressor mostly dedicated for it as the HD rifle of choice. I currently don't like the idea of lighting off 5.56 (or 12ga, or 9mm) without hearing protection inside should it come to that, and having it as a pistol allows vehicle options with the Michigan CPL that a rifle (SBR or otherwise) would still be restricted from.

I'm currently liking the Sig SRD762. I would likely have a 5.56 rifle setup to swap onto for range fun, as well.

I'm not sure if it would be a good option to use with my SCAR-17 though. Maybe with the PMM shoulder spacer and Sig's taper-lok flash hider it would be a decent setup without the can, and easily swapped on for hunting.

The only firearms not covered would be the bulk of the ARs, so I'd think about a direct-thread 5.56 can later, and my HK45T is my only centerfire pistol that can take a can currently, so a .45 would come later as well.

So for advice - are these good options for a beginner? Should I drop the QD and just go threaded for the .30cal? Is there a far-and-away better choice that I overlooked?

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another one looking to get a first supressor - for my 226 in 9mm. Any recommendations for whose threaded barrel and what is a good place to start would be appreciated. Keeping it versatile is great, keeping it low priced is great, too. Thanks.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I run 5.56 through my 30 cal cans. The only time I would consider a dedicated 5.56 can would be if weight or length was a premium, both are typically more ona 30 cal can but not excessively so to have a can that works on both.

I dont have any experience with the Q cans but I have a few from Silencerco and Dead Air and the DeadAir MASK is my favorite of the group.

For my primary and first can, I went with thea SiCo Omega. Good performance, qd or driect thread, will work on 5.56 and .30, relatively small and lightweight for a 30 cal can.

If direct thread capablty isnt a big deal or your are defeintlay going to be getting sepatate 5.56 & 30 cal cans I would look at the Dead Air Sandman S. Its QD only but is a great can and they have muzzle devices designed specifically for the SCAR 17 shoulder.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwilco:
I'm another one looking to get a first supressor - for my 226 in 9mm. Any recommendations for whose threaded barrel and what is a good place to start would be appreciated. Keeping it versatile is great, keeping it low priced is great, too. Thanks.

If versatility is the key look at a 45 can like the Rugged Obisidian or Dad Air Ghost. Both will keep the option open for other calibers. Both of the above can have removable stacks allowing you to shorten the configuration. They are also rated for sub sonic 300blk adding to you versatiltiy request.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmac82
posted Hide Post
I went with Sig brand threaded barrels for mine. Bought them at Topgunsupply

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
WARPIG is spot on with the .30 cal can note, unless you just really really (really) want a dedicated 5.56 can I'd tell you to just stick with .30 cal cans for versatility's sake. As for your proposed order, I think you're spot on. The rifle and rimfire cans will see the most use so smart to pick them up first. The pistol can, on a handgun, makes the whole thing somewhat unwieldy, and as a result I find I don't shoot my pistol cans as much. The rimfire cans are giggle quiet and probably account for 60-70% of my suppressed shooting.

As for the Sig, I just don't know that I trust them. As was noted in another thread, I don't trust them not to put out an SRD762 Gen 2 in the near future (see the MCX) or just abandon it altogether (556Xi?). I'm afraid their practice(s) from the firearm side might creep over into the silencer division. That said I would recommend a can from an established suppressor company for your first couple cans. After that get funky and start branching out. Right now in your journey it's as much about the Customer Support as anything else (on the off-chance you need it). SilencerCo, Rugged, Dead Air, Gemtech, etc. would all suffice. Also, QD mounting makes for fast on-off without the fear of the thing coming loose while shooting. So long as you can live with the associated brakes and flash hiders for your chosen can you're good to go.

Same goes for the rimfire world. I don't admittedly know much about the Q brand, so they may be just fine. For the money though I'd look at something like the Mask or the Oculus.

The good news in all this is that we now have more options than ever, thus it's a good time to be buying. That, and so many folks are holding off because they're hoping HPA passes that there are good deals to be had out there.

Good luck and let us know what you chose.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
WARPIG is spot on with the .30 cal can note, unless you just really really (really) want a dedicated 5.56 can I'd tell you to just stick with .30 cal cans for versatility's sake. As for your proposed order, I think you're spot on. The rifle and rimfire cans will see the most use so smart to pick them up first. The pistol can, on a handgun, makes the whole thing somewhat unwieldy, and as a result I find I don't shoot my pistol cans as much. The rimfire cans are giggle quiet and probably account for 60-70% of my suppressed shooting.

As for the Sig, I just don't know that I trust them. As was noted in another thread, I don't trust them not to put out an SRD762 Gen 2 in the near future (see the MCX) or just abandon it altogether (556Xi?). I'm afraid their practice(s) from the firearm side might creep over into the silencer division. That said I would recommend a can from an established suppressor company for your first couple cans. After that get funky and start branching out. Right now in your journey it's as much about the Customer Support as anything else (on the off-chance you need it). SilencerCo, Rugged, Dead Air, Gemtech, etc. would all suffice. Also, QD mounting makes for fast on-off without the fear of the thing coming loose while shooting. So long as you can live with the associated brakes and flash hiders for your chosen can you're good to go.

Same goes for the rimfire world. I don't admittedly know much about the Q brand, so they may be just fine. For the money though I'd look at something like the Mask or the Oculus.

The good news in all this is that we now have more options than ever, thus it's a good time to be buying. That, and so many folks are holding off because they're hoping HPA passes that there are good deals to be had out there.

Good luck and let us know what you chose.

I appreciate the advice.

The guy behind Q is the guy who made Sig's lineup (and had a hand in the MPX/MCX) and was AAC's founder; Kevin Bittingham.

He was dumped from AAC after Remington/Freedom Group bought them, and apparently didn't like the slow pace at Sig. Which is evident because Q has been going crazy with new products over the last year.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Top three IMO are Rugged, Silencerco and Dead Air. I've been a Class III FFL for a few years and these guys have really come on strong. Good customer support as well

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I agree about getting a .30 cal can to shoot 5.56 through. I have a Dead Air Sandman L and a Dead Air Mask. My buddy has the SiCo Omega. The Dead Air Sandman L has a better tone to both of our ears but the Omega is shorter and lighter. Not a bad choice between the two. We both own a Dead Air Mask. I shot the Element and Sparrow along with the Mask before purchasing. The Mask is my favorite can I own and gets the most use.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
When buying your first rifle can, don't shop for the can, shop for the mount. Think ahead to what your next rifle cans would be, and buy from a vendor where they can all utilize the same mount.

I currently have AAC and TBAC cans, the former because I got them before the explosion of recent options. If I hadn't to rebuild from scratch, I would probably go with SiCo, because of the solid ASR mount, and the wide variety of cans that can use the ASR. I'd go with an Omega as a first can, incredibly versatile.

You don't mention why you were looking for a direct thread can. If you are intent on a direct thread, in particular for a precision rifle, I highly recommend TBAC.

As for pistol cans, do you already have a threaded barrel? If not, I would suggest to stay away from the Sig standard LH threads. The can's mount will inevitably be RH threaded, and in my experience, I can never get the right hand and left hand threads tight all at once. If you are going to use a Sig, get a Bar Sto barrel and have it RH threaded. Plus, many cans come with the RH mount, and you'll have to spend more for the LH mount, so that helps cover the extra cost for the BarSto.

As others mention though, pistol cans aren't super useful, and I use mine primarily for pistol caliber carbines. .22 cans are the best, but .22 ammo still hasn't quite fallen back down to earth. Once it is back down to 2-3 counts per round, I'll be breaking those cans out far more than I do now.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
22lr - get a can that is easy to take apart for cleaning, and the internals are steel for ease of cleaning, which you will do a lot.

The 30 caliber can will work just fine for .223/5.56, unless you need dedicated cans.

Even though my 45acp is my second quietest setup after my 22lr, I don't shoot it as much as my 9mm set up, and it is too big to hang off a 9mm, so a light dedicated 9mm is a good choice.

As for brands, I've got a couple of SilencerCo, a Yankee Hill Machine, an AAC and an off brand. I don't know a lot of other silencer owners, so no first hand knowledge of other brands.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post