SIGforum
Rattler suppressor

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/380105858/m/1710052984

February 05, 2022, 12:23 PM
bigarms
Rattler suppressor
I have recently purchased a pair of Rattlers in .300 and 5.56. Are there any suppressors that are recommended and warrantied for the 5.5” barrels?
February 05, 2022, 04:47 PM
hrcjon
KSGM is your person for very short barrels on a 5.56. I can't even imagine what that length is useful for. And I'm sure that there are probably many choices but normally I run surefire on 5.56 and they won't support you at that length. But I've also a couple of Rugged Suppressors and as near as I can tell the Surge has no restrictions so you might look at that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
February 05, 2022, 05:51 PM
4.40s1nine
I have been using 2 different Dead Air suppressors on a Canebrake Rattler in 300 BO. A Wolfman and the Nomad 30. I have not had any issues with either one.

In regards to sound, the Wolfman in the long configuration seems to get the nod from most people that have shot it and been around it when others are shooting. But the difference is very minimal.

I have a 16 inch Virtus in .556, and again both of the suppressors have been problem free. The Nomad would be the one for your short .556. Otherwise I would suggest a Sandman for your setup.
February 05, 2022, 05:53 PM
bigarms
I have a CQB range, I picked them up for use here. Range use mostly, but would still like to quiet them a bit.
February 05, 2022, 06:18 PM
KSGM
I don't have anything that short; shortest I go is 9" (553 and G36C). A friend has a 7.5" 516 that he uses a Saker on, I believe; he's never noted any accelerated wear, but I don't know if SiCo warrantees it that short. I know Griffin and OSS have no restrictions, of the cans I use regularly. I believe hrcjon is correct, in saying the Rugged models are good to go, when it comes to shorties. A simple googling of the big names in the biz will yield their barrel recommendations.

Griffin does say that you can expect accelerated wear on super short barrels. I guess they'll warranty a catastrophic failure, but not normal wear associated with shorties, which is fair. A low-pressure or flow-through design may be the ticket on a gun like that.
February 05, 2022, 06:25 PM
hrcjon
This is just personal opinion. I have a wolfman (I use it exclusively on 9mm HK) and while deadair says you can run this on 5.56 with their mount there is not a chance I think its good for that. And on a very short barrel 5.56 I think it would be really problematic. Sub 300BO I doubt would bother it. Just my opinion, they are very responsive you can call and ask them. But I would really start this project with a full rifle can and not something like this intended for "light duty rifle" use.

February 06, 2022, 08:52 AM
nhracecraft
Maybe get a can from SIG and put the warranty 100% on them... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
February 06, 2022, 10:02 AM
KSGM
^This^

I am not crazy about their current lineup though. Their marketing for them was deceitful. I like their older ones, but they're hard to come by. PGT has a very nice direct-thread version of an older Sig can.
February 06, 2022, 06:19 PM
hrcjon
Personally I'd never trust SIG for a suppressor and multiyear support. but that said I thought I would look at what they offer. Unless my internet skills are on a small vacation I can't find squat about the real details...min. barrel length, sound levels etc. The manual says short barrels exacerbate wear and don't get titanium too hot. The QD mount looks interesting compared to others FWIW>

February 07, 2022, 04:47 AM
KSGM
Sig's current lineup of low-backpressure cans initially intrigued me, until I encountered their thermal marketing image. Ejection port emissions of a conventional can on a (presumably) DI AR are compared to emissions of their new can on an MCX. Roll Eyes

If they think I am that stupid, I don't want to buy their silencers.
February 07, 2022, 04:12 PM
xmod
Check the Energetic Armament Vox K for no barrel length restrictions. Not sure about their warranty. It’s 4.4” and likely not that quiet but I’ve got one on order for my 300 BO Rattler, which I will have my dealer taper the mount to match the barrel and not use any adapter/muzzle device.
February 07, 2022, 06:54 PM
bigarms
Thanks for all the replies. The more I look, the more I’m inclined to believe that suppressors on these two beasts need to be disposable.
February 10, 2022, 07:45 PM
jimacp
I have a Rattler in 300 BO and use a Dead Air Sandman suppressor. I have not had any problems using this suppressor and believe Dead Air rates the Sandman suppressors for full auto at any barrel length.
February 13, 2022, 12:19 AM
Lefty Sig
Surefire 300 SPS shows sound reduction levels for a 5.5" 300 BLK barrel on their website. Assume that means they support its use on Rattlers.

The 5.56 Rattler barrel has a permanently attached flash hider so you can't do much with it. The reason is that a 5.5" 5.56 barrel spits out so much unburned powder that it will erode almost any suppressor pretty quickly, and Sig isn't going to deal with people that insist on trying it even when they are told not to.
February 13, 2022, 05:15 PM
hrcjon
There are a zillion mfg choices that support short 300blk barrels. that's the whole point of them.
But wtf is the point of a building a 5.56 barrel at 5.5". I have no idea. like none. and double none. There are for sure mfg who don't have a limit in their warranty on barrel length and at least according to the sig specs its threaded.
But what possible use is this that sig thought it was a good idea to produce???

February 13, 2022, 11:05 PM
inspcalahan
I have a Sig .338ti QD for other purposes but it seemed natural to slap an attachment on the Rattler. .300BO with that can is AMAZING! It's really not that big, thanks to a 5.5" barrel to start with and doesn't seem muzzle heavy either. Quiet as you could ask for, whether super or subsonic.

Superb match up. A bit pricey if that's all you use it for but, that .338 can has proven very worthy as it works on many different guns, all with great effectiveness.
February 14, 2022, 06:13 PM
bigarms
I had kicked around the idea of picking up a .300 Rattler for about 2 years. Finally broke down and snagged one. After playing with it for a week or so I was so tickled with it I picked up its twin in 5.56. Practical? Useful? Sensible? Hell no!! But damn is it fun to shoot! Really lights up the range and the guys I train with find it just as amusing.
February 26, 2022, 02:36 PM
Lefty Sig
I grabbed my Rattler from new old stock when they changed from the telescoping brace to the folder. I wanted the telescoper like on my MPX.
March 15, 2022, 12:55 PM
rsbolo
I have a Rattler in 300 BO with a sig suppressor on it. I am very fond of the setup and I have been very pleased with the way it handles and functions.

Granted I bought it a few years ago so maybe I have one of the "older" suppressors...

December 15, 2022, 11:31 PM
bettysnephew
Kind of a necrothread but I have a Rattler Canebrake that I hope will soon be hosting a SIG SLH762Ti direct thread. Right now I am sitting at 8 months out so hopefully just a few more days. Anyway I chose the SLH762 as the SIG rep said it will work on 300 BLK both sub and supersonic loads. I sure hope he was correct as at present I have more supersonic ammo and prefer not to remove the suppressor every time I change ammo.
ETA, This suppressor on 5.56 needs an 11" barrel according to the rep.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith