SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Possible NFA violation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible NFA violation Login/Join 
posted
If a guy (LOL) put one of the minimalist sized fore grips or angled fore thing on a rather large pistol would that be somehow a violation? No brace or stock. Asking for a friend before he does something stupid...

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Is it worth going to prison?

If the answer is anything but NO, run away.

FWIW, I believe ATF “guidelines” mention 90 degrees, but do you trust the ATF to stick to the same story?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A vertical foregrip on a pistol is illegal, brace or not. That makes it an NFA item called an AOW.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If it’s a 90 degree grip, it’s a nope as long as the gun in question meets the legal criteria to be a pistol. If it’s an angle other than 90 degrees, it’s legal. That’s my understanding, and why there’s so many angled grips out there.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I will tell him it is a no go on the grip and probably not a good choice on the angle grip.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
26 U.S.C. § 5845(e) is interpreted by BATFE to define a pistol as a short firearm intended to be fired with one hand and has advised installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun is ‘making’ a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch.

(see Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun, U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (May 4, 2006), http://www.atf.gov/press/relea...-adding-vertical-for e-grip.html.)

As described alove, I agree vertical foregrips put you in NFA territory. Angled grips are a gray area; you'd probably win something like a Magpul AFG but it's doubtful beyond that.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post