SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    5-31-24 The Van Orden Sniper Rifle Range Report and Pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5-31-24 The Van Orden Sniper Rifle Range Report and Pics Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

Just a post to discuss my initial M70 Winchester Van Orden Sniper Rifle, ammo, and range performance.

Here's a picture of the rifle on bench:

The rifle was built last year, and I just had the chance to tune the optics, clean them and adjust them at the range. It took quite a while.

Built on an early (1937) Winchester M-70 action that was tuned, and blue printed rifle has a Douglas Match barrel made to the original specifications. Once trued the barrel was fitted and chambered. All work was top notch...done by Nelson's Custom, Corvallis, Oregon.

Initial sighting in took about 8 rounds using the following load:

.30/06 Winchester (Serengeti Reamer)
169 Gr. Sierra Match King
Winchester cases(new)
46.5 Gr./IMR-4895
Federal 210 Match Primer
OAL: 3.30"

Velocity was:

1. 2,627 FPS
2. 2,641 FPS
3. 2,639 FPS
4. 2,631 FPS
5. 2,612 FPS

Minimum: 2,612 FPS

Maximum: 2,641 FPS

AVERAGE: 2,630 FPS

Also, I shot M72 1967 Match Ammo using a 173 gr. M2 Boat tail bullet:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pV6uE8]

The M72 load shot just over and under 1 MOA.

Accuracy for the 169 Gr SMK load was under 3/4 MOA.

All in all a fun day with a rifle that is a bit of history. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Wes

Posts: 2454 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Can you share more information on that scope?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
flesheatingvirus,

The scope is made by Unertl and is a 10x model. The "sniper" marked Unertl's were 8X and are VERY expensive when you can find one...

It features external adjustments (1/4 MOA) and is all steel. Very heavy, but it's basically what the Marines used Vietnam in the mid-60's.

Hope this helps...do you have any specific questions?

Wes

Posts: 2454 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. What kind of reticle does it have? I'm assuming plain crosshair.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a neat gun and an amazing history once I looked it up. Thanks for posting. Did you mean for it to be in Suppressed Weapons?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

The scope has a standard crosshair. I put it in the suppressed section by accident.

Wes

posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle -- the stock looks great. I like it.

The scope...not so much.

Posts: 7985 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post