SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Looking at buying first suppressor...any experience with the YHM Phantom .22?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at buying first suppressor...any experience with the YHM Phantom .22? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered it today. Went into the shop and did my fingerprints at the kiosk to complete the registration info for my account. Also went online and set up an ATF Eforms account. The LGS didn't have a Phantom in stock, so I placed the order on the website, SilencerShop is going to ship it, and I guess when it gets there we finish filling out the paperwork and begin the wait. Kinda crummy spending $600 and having nothing to show for it.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
welcome to the nfa world. When the F3 processes you can do the rest of what you need to do.
But once you get there with somewhat of an experience base just forget you ever did it. you can do nothing to expedite it. I used to look at the various websites with atf times and add them to my submission date and think 'soon'. But of course its the atf and none of that matters. it will process when it processes. so better not to fret.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, the Form 3 got done, they shipped it to my dealer, and I got my Form 4 certified earlier this month. Just waiting now.

In the mean time, I've been getting my hosts purchased and set up. I bought the MkIV a couple of months ago and recently put the Tandemkross blast pack in it. It shoots like a dream.

The Ruger American Rimfire I got this past week. I'd been looking for months for one with the threaded barrel and finally found one for a good price at Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo. Even with the transfer fee it was a good deal. It was a tossup between the CZ457 and the Ruger, but holding them side by side I really didn't feel much difference in he action, and I prefer the flush-fit 10-22 magazines of the Ruger.

The stock is a bit flimsy, but functional, and I like the modular inserts so I can easily and cheaply shrink the length of pull for my kids. Mine came with both the full-size regular and a full-size with a high-rise comb, but I also bought the compact that it's wearing in the picture on Amazon for $20.

The bolt on the one I bought was a bit rougher than the non-threaded model that I'd handled in the store, but a few minutes with a polishing stone and it's now like butter. I got some tech sights for it and we took it to the range today after the Christmas festivities. It was 9 degrees out with significant wind chill, so we shot indoors, and only had 50 feet to work with. When it warms up I'm looking forward to taking it out to 50 yards and farther, but for today I was very pleased. 4 groups from 4 different shooters, all with Federal Automatch: mine in the center, BIL's girlfriend bottom left, BIL bottom center, and my son bottom right.

Everything is ready, now I wish they'd just hurry up and process my paperwork so I can bring home the can!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The wait on the stamp takes forever.
I would search out some subsonic 22lr ammo for the bolt action.

My Volquartson Target barrel now resides on a TandemKross Kracken lower (BF deal).Thanks to you on the heads up on the Volquartson site.

The suppressor addiction has begun. I would look at the 300 BO for the next purchase. Excellent suppression on subsonic ammo. You will need a 300 BO upper to convert an AR lower. 300 BO can use an AR 15 mag.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just picked up 4 boxes of CCI Quiet at the store Saturday...it has already begun, lol.

I also am in the process of putting together another lower. The question is what to do for an upper. Dedicated .22LR (which is the direction I'm leaning)? .300 blk? Another CMMG RDB build, but in .45 ACP this time for big slow heavy bullets? So many options.

I'm also exploring techniques and weighing my options for threading some of my existing .22s. It looks pretty feasible with an annular cutter, die, and pilots...I have a couple of cheap beater Marlin Glenfields that are great, utilitarian rifles as they are, but would be even cooler if I could suppress them.

Upon further investigation, this looks like a bad plan as it likely won't yield the necessary concentricity to avoid a baffle strike. I guess I need to see what options are out there to have it professionally done, and evaluate if it's worth the cost or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
300 BO at Ballistic advantage are on sale..but out of stock https://www.ballisticadvantage...er_complete_upper=98

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing those are out of stock...the prices are tempting, but I also have to remember that I'd need to pay for another tax stamp and can Eek! Oh, and not to forget reloading dies and cutters to start converting .223 brass, and sourcing different .30 cal bullets...

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I just found out that my FFL cut ties with SilencerShop...apparently they were a hassle to deal with and charged for everything. He said since my suppressor is there, my Form 4 is already certified and just waiting on approval, I don't need to do anything...they'll transfer it like normal when my approval comes in. It still shows in my SilencerShop dashboard, too...I just no longer have a preferred dealer listed. But the whole thing doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Not that I think this is going to happen, but what happens if your FFL goes out of business while you're waiting for the sloths at the ATF to get your paperwork done?

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
My FFL decided not to renew his license. Advised ATF that his license will expire. Supposedly ATF “prioritized” his outstanding tax stamps. Still was over a year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, I just found out that my FFL cut ties with SilencerShop...apparently they were a hassle to deal with and charged for everything. He said since my suppressor is there, my Form 4 is already certified and just waiting on approval, I don't need to do anything...they'll transfer it like normal when my approval comes in. It still shows in my SilencerShop dashboard, too...I just no longer have a preferred dealer listed. But the whole thing doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Not that I think this is going to happen, but what happens if your FFL goes out of business while you're waiting for the sloths at the ATF to get your paperwork done?

The Form 4 has always been between you and your dealer. Silencer Shop fills them out and submits them for your local dealer. This cutting of ties will have no impact on a pending form.

And yes, they do charge for everything.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

The Form 4 has always been between you and your dealer. Silencer Shop fills them out and submits them for your local dealer. This cutting of ties will have no impact on a pending form.

And yes, they do charge for everything.

For eFile Form 4, they are actually submitted by the dealer, and certified by you. SS software helps the dealer populate the form, but the dealer actually submits.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Well…..you owe me some money. I just bought a Phantom this morning. My dealer has a SilencerShop kiosk and everything was quick and easy. This is my first can and I need to look at more hosts.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Well…..you owe me some money. I just bought a Phantom this morning. My dealer has a SilencerShop kiosk and everything was quick and easy. This is my first can and I need to look at more hosts.

Lol, well I haven't even seen mine yet, and probably won't for another 6-8 months, so hopefully it doesn't suck!

And yeah, the hosts keep multiplying as I wait. I now have the MkIV, the American Rimfire, and a dedicated .22 AR build that has actually turned out to be incredibly reliable and a blast to shoot. I wasn't fully satisfied with the Tandemkross MKIV parts, so I just dropped a Volquartsen kit in there today and put 150 flawless rounds through it...the trigger is fantastic and I should have just done this in the first place.

So yeah, darn supressor is costing me all kinds of money before I've even laid eyes on it!

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
FYI: I wouldn’t waste money on subsonic .22 for the pistol. Normal .22 is already subsonic out of that barrel length. Save it for the rifle.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
FYI: I wouldn’t waste money on subsonic .22 for the pistol. Normal .22 is already subsonic out of that barrel length. Save it for the rifle.

Yep, already confirmed that with the chronograph. Even the longer target-barrelled upper doesn't give it enough oomph to break the sound barrier. Nice to be able to shoot cheap bulk stuff and still keep it quiet.

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

That's good to know.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
92- did you start filling out the form 4 in the Eforms system? I set up my eforms account but I’m not sure if I start filling out the form or wait. My dealer said I’d get an email from Silencer Shop with docs to e-sign but it’s been a week and haven’t gotten those yet. I don’t know if those take longer than a week or if there’s a step I’m missing and that’s why I haven’t gotten that email yet.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
They filled it out for me. IIRC I may have had to log in and e-sign it, though. It's been several months now and I've slept since then, so I don't remember everything I did. I just know the dashboard says I'm just waiting on approval now.

Was your supressor in stock at your dealer, or did they have to ship it? Mine was not and had to be shipped to the dealer, which required a form 3 and took over a month. So you may be waiting a bit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
92- did you start filling out the form 4 in the Eforms system? I set up my eforms account but I’m not sure if I start filling out the form or wait. My dealer said I’d get an email from Silencer Shop with docs to e-sign but it’s been a week and haven’t gotten those yet. I don’t know if those take longer than a week or if there’s a step I’m missing and that’s why I haven’t gotten that email yet.

You don’t actually fill out a eForm 4, your dealer does. SS sends you a Form 4 to docusign, but that not what actually gets sent. It’s mostly just to verify your information, which is then used by SS to send to the dealer for use in generating the actual eForm 4 that gets filled in by the dealer. When you certify the form in eForms, not docusign with SS, is when it actually goes in.

The docusign with SS is just the first step in their own process. From what I’ve heard, they have been running behind in this first step.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post