SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    The "Otter Dump" extreme torture test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Otter Dump" extreme torture test Login/Join 
posted
Largely trivial, but interesting nonetheless.

Sixty rounds of 5.56 through a silencer, from a drum, in one burst, from a 4.75" barrel.

I think they should have kept their test subjects limited to cans with full auto ratings and no barrel restrictions, to "put them to the test".

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/c...ers_tested_by_otter/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/c...2_fails_the_oc_test/

I don't have access to Instagram, which is where this stuff was posted, so I haven't seen the videos of anything but the Surefire.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get the point of this at all. Let's say I'm a suppressor designer and I take all the available tradeoffs on cost, material, weight etc. and I build a suppressor. Given all the tradeoff's I made I decide that I can get decent life only when used on a 10" or longer barrel in 5.56. So that's what I say. "minimum barrel length 10"".Then you go shoot it outside of those conditions and it fails. what does that prove? Seems pretty much to me a waste of time and ammo.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I share that opinion. I did say "largely trivial", and stated that they should have been more logical in their test subject selection.

It's an amusingly abusive test; not logical.

In the table, they should have recorded the mount used, if the can was HUB. They do, in the case of the OCM5. The PTB mount was non-negotiable, considering the length of the barrel, but it grants a massive initial expansion chamber.

Also, I am not picking on the RC2. That's just seemingly the only one that someone bothered to save the video of.

Also, in comments, Otter Creek says this was something they did for their own R&D, to inform future design choices. They weren't "testing" silencers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a longer barrel, the gun will fail before the can. Granted this video depicts a 16", and thirty round mags. I'd say it's safe to assume anything 11.5" or longer, using 30rd mags, would have a similar outcome. They say the 10.5" barrels are exponentially harder on things, when compared even to a 11.5", so I think a 10.5" could maybe go either way.

posted Hide Post
I assume you have seen the TBAC test using the SOCOM surge cycle. That's on a short 10.5. And in the description the gun fails first. The muzzle device as well. That's 240 rounds 10 times.

posted Hide Post
I recall reading TBAC's statements concerning the muzzle device failures. What other aspects of the weapon did they experience trouble with?

posted Hide Post
They had pictures of the muzzle device but not of the gun so they didn't really specify. But I would guess gas tube as that is the most common failure point. IF I get some time I may ask them, they are really transparent and responsive group.