SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    What's the deal with 7.62x39 subsonic?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the deal with 7.62x39 subsonic? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Sig 553R. I have Brown Bear 196gr subsonic ammo. It cycles reliably, even on reduced gas apertures.

I got some Hornady 255gr SubX. It won't cycle even on the largest gas setting. I guess it's intended for bolt actions.

Apparently PPU makes some 182gr subs. I'd like to think they'd work, as they're potentially closer in composition to the Brown Bears. The Brown Bears are unfortunately unobtainium now.

Anyone else have any experience with 7.62x39 subs in a semi-auto?

Why don't more companies make more different options? The Brown Bear is proof that it's viable.

I should make it clear that I am not trying to make a 7.62x39 rifle do what a .300BLK does better. I have the x39 rifle to primarily shoot regular ammo. I use a suppressor, and the subsonic option is a cool one to have. It's not like 5.56, where the subs are never going to cycle it and I may as well be shooting a 22LR, so I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit annoyed that there aren't more subsonic options out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only used the Hornady. It cycles in my Bren2. But that's not many rounds, I was originally going to try to set the Bren up for volume shooting suppressed but its not something I decided to continue to make work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11148 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I was planning to pick up some Hornady 255 to go in my Galil Ace pistol. That thing is so overgassed, if it can’t run it, I’ll be surprised.

Posts: 2052 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on hrcjon's reply, I think I am going to mod another gas valve with an over-sized port, in an effort to make the Hornadys run.

If funds allow, I'll also try to pick up some of the PPU.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That made me think of a related issue. As you know I'm a SCAR fan and those have factory replacable gas jets in a huge range of sizes. The internet is full of advise on what to use for specific setups but like all internet things opinions vary. But its so trivial to change a jet size you can treat any info as optional. Do there exist communities for other platforms that discuss jet sizes where you have to actually drill holes. For example on KSGM Sig is there a knowledge base that says a good starting point is .187 for a 10" barrel and this ammo, or are you on your own to figure it all out.

posted Hide Post
I had no idea that Brown Bear made subsonic ammo.

Posts: 385 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
or are you on your own to figure it all out
I think so.

This being a more unique rifle/ammo/silencer combination, I'd guess there's not a lot of talk out there. I am not a member of any other forums, so I'd be at the mercy of existing conversations found with google. A search doesn't yield anything useful.

posted Hide Post
Since I may actually do this on my Bren what's your thinking on a strategy (since it seems you have already done it) to get to the size you need but not over the size you need without wasting too much ammo/time/gas valves.