SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Classifieds Section    WTB Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun Login/Join 
posted
It’s time to look for a revolver I’ve always wanted. I’m looking for a S&W Mountain Gun. Caliber is fairly flexible but I would like to start with .357 mag and 45 LC first. Let me know if you would like to part with one and what you would like for it.

Posts: 623 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What is a "mountain gun"?

Like a truck gun / beater or a specific model? (Never heard the phrase before)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 13611 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummerguy73:
It’s time to look for a revolver I’ve always wanted. I’m looking for a S&W Mountain Gun. Caliber is fairly flexible but I would like to start with .357 mag and 45 LC first. Let me know if you would like to part with one and what you would like for it.

I have a mountain revolver and a couple mountain guns...all 629's in .44 mag. The .357's are unicorns and .45 LC are a bit harder to find. Nothing in Gun Broker?

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two 45LC on the broker, but I trust you folks a lot more than the broker. To answer the question about what is a Mountain Gun, S&W did runs of 4 inch N frames with tapered barrels instead of the more common bull barrel. They were made in 44 mag, 357 mag, 45 LC and 45ACP with a few 41 mag at some point in time. They actually have “Mountain Gun” on the barrel.

Posts: 623 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The 357 Mountain Gun I’m familiar with is a 7 shot 686 L Frame with a slim taper barrel.

Posts: 25996 | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's been one on Phoenix Armslist for a while. Pricey!

Posts: 34 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've got one in 41 mag. Very accurate and very pleasant to
shoot. Good luck finding one.

Posts: 9534 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. All I have is a link.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101933953

John 3:16
Sig 224,228,229,220,226,1911's,938,220 carry and a 239. Ok, I like sig : )

Posts: 342 | Location: Indy area | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
What is a "mountain gun"?

Like a truck gun / beater or a specific model? (Never heard the phrase before)

It's a specific variation of the S&W N-frame stainless steel revolver with a light 4" barrel in a variety of calibers, including .357 Magnum, .41 S&W Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 LC, and (the one I own) .45 ACP/AR. The "Mountain Gun" designation is laser engraved on the right side of the barrel as shown here.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 9733 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking revolver. Are those the original grips?

Posts: 99 | Location: Gulf Coast FL | Registered: November 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love mine. No, not for sale. Mine is in .45 ACP.

DSCN0667 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23503 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email incoming…

Pete T. (aka Ted1Trading)

Posts: 497 | Location: CT & FL USA | Registered: February 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post