SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Classifieds Section    Scammer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scammer Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. You run the best forum on the Innanet.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10695 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Notice how my concern at the time was spammers- people who register just to hawk their stuff. The way it's worked out the past two years, I catch better than 99% of those types at registration. The real problem has turned out to be stuff like this- registering merely to gain access to member profiles so they can contact members directly. Fortunately, most of you guys see this stuff coming from a mile away.

That was prescient, indeed. I think most members have been around the horn enough to suss out a bogus offer, at least I hope we have. This one was easy, the idiot wasn't even trying. Frankly, it was a pathetic effort....

Posts: 792 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Another problem is more and more ISPs aren’t offering email. My internet provider is Google Fiber. I’m stuck with a gmail address and I’m not paying someone for an email address.

Posts: 4120 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Nice work catching the scumballs! I try to limit business here to members that have multiple posts.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I got one from him as well, time to mess with him.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm dumb, but what is a "web-based e-mail address"? And what is the alternative? My e-mail is on yahoo.com--is that OK?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. It must be a lot of work to keep ahead of these scammers.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I guess I'm dumb, but what is a "web-based e-mail address"? And what is the alternative? My e-mail is on yahoo.com--is that OK?

flashguy

Google , yahoo, hotmail are all examples of web based addresses. Basically they are email accounts you can access via any device on standard web browser as long as you have internet access. In 2005 when I joined I had to use my internet providers email account it was x@triad.rr.com and it is long gone haha.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I may have just got another one today, not sure. Guy hasn't answered by email asking him his member name....

Posts: 792 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When I was still employed my e-mail address was one the employer provided and operated. I got the Yahoo address when I retired.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
And if this isn't the perfect illustration of a GB scammer....
I saw a P227 Elite come up a bit ago, looked nice. Had a BIN of a little less than $1300. But uh-oh... check out the number of received feedbacks and the join date.

Man, these guys might as well register a user name like "ImGonnaScrewYouOver" or something....

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You have to pay attention, guys:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935&m=4620081884

You must be skeptical in the extreme when someone you don't know and you can't identify as a legitimate member of this forum, contacts you.

Look, I cannot emphasize it enough- if you are not extremely careful, you will get ripped off. You have my guarantee on that. How many times do I have to say this?

You must assume that anyone who contacts you cold is a crook. You must do this. Then, ask questions. If they don't want to answer or if they give answers that don't sound right, forget about getting the magical whatever you're looking for. If they want to involve a third party, walk away. That's a huge red flag. Ask them their forum name. If they're not a member, that should be all you need to know.

Talk to them on the phone. Everyone has a phone in their pocket. If they don't want to talk to you, walk away. Ask for photos of the object they're "selling" and ask them to put a piece a paper in the pic, with some word or other that you provide them; not "sigforum". Make it something they cannot anticipate and cannot have prepared in advance. If they don't want to cooperate, fuck 'em. If they tell you they're going to complain to the forum admin, you tell them to be your guest and that I am eagerly awaiting their love letter. You will never get in hot water with me by doing these things that I have plainly stated you should do.

Before too long, I'll be saying all of this again. That's another guarantee I can make. Get with the program or just stop buying anything online.

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the update to this thread.

Took Ronin's advice and added the notification...

Posts: 4915 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Can he get contacted about his extended car warrantees?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1629 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would drop our registrations to near zero per week. Used to be, most people who registered here had an email address from an ISP. These days, most people guard those email addresses more closely and want to use web-based stuff like gmail and hotmail. Used to be, in the early days of this forum, members were posting from a PC or laptop. These days, tablets and smartphones are well into the mix. People like their gmail.

Not only that, but some folks can't use company email for personal stuff, and some work at not so friendly 2A companies.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
When I was still employed my e-mail address was one the employer provided and operated. I got the Yahoo address when I retired.

flashguy
Exactly the situation I'm in .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Thank you Boss

Basically the only gun forum I visit.

Would it also make sense to increase the number of posts or set a calendar time limit before being able to post For Sale items? Make em earn it more.

HK Ag

Posts: 3491 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You are thinking like a decent person.

Scammers and users give less fucks than a Honey Badger.

They will span the board and wait out any time limit and still do the deed.

Members need to be wise.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43797 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Parabellum, deeply appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post