SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Classifieds Section    Scammer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scammer Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Would it also make sense to increase the number of posts or set a calendar time limit before being able to post For Sale items? Make em earn it more.

Marginal effectiveness. Other forums do that and still get scammers.

On one forum a scammer created an account, let it lay fallow for a year. Then started posting a bunch of throw-away comments to threads to get his post count up. We were just waiting for the "for sale" thread or "I'll take it" post when somebody brought the activity to the site's Admins and he was banned.

Latest scam here was a member posted a WTB. Scammer signed up so he could get access to the member's profile and email address. Emailed him directly and set him up (literally) with "somebody he knew who had one for sale."

Para and other sites can do a lot, but, in the end, the only thing that works is caveat emptor. Or caveat venditor in the case of sellers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25988 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And now, for a visit from the mysterious Michael Spector, who has a pistol he wishes to sell to a forum member. He's not a member of the forum (not really, but apparently he does have an account, so that he can see member email addresses), but he hangs around Classifieds and does his best to help out members- here, for instance: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...060075984#9060075984

What a great guy. Please take note of the name and the email address:

Subject: Glock 43x mos

Date: March 8, 2022 at 11:29:54 PM EST

To: (redacted)

Hey man,
I came across your WTB ad on sigforum.
I have a Glock 43x mos in excellent, new condition I'm willing to part with.
Never fired and has a holosun 507k x2 mounted. Overall condition is excellent.
It comes with box and 2 10 rd mags.
$600 shipped to you, let me know if we have a deal.
I've attached pictures.
Thanks.

Be on your toes at all times, gentlemen

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think pruning the classifieds a ways back is a good idea... personally I usually only look at page one but I do go back sometimes and look something up I bought or was interested in later.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I know you are not looking for accolades. But thanks none the less for looking out for your forum members. It means a lot. Sincerely.

Ditto. Thanks Para for keeping this a great forum.

Posts: 1250 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0075094&r=7800075094

Thieving motherfucker. Get a real job.

ryanforrest852@gmail.com

PayPal email philip.siahi@yahoo.com

IP address is 73.94.159.26 . Traces to a Comcast account in St. Paul (specifically, Maplewood), Minnesota, 55106

Scammer ryanforrest852@gmail.com Scammer

Scammer philip.siahi@yahoo.com Scammer

posted Hide Post
Thank you para, you run a tight ship and we like it!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for policing the classifieds Para. I've been an attempted victim twice on WTB ads. They usually offer you a price that seems a little too good to be true to entice you, and in both cases sent me a supposed photo of the item that looked just a little bit too professional. So I always do a google search on the item and then go to the images tab to see if I can find the photo they sent me and in both cases the photos they used came from other ads that had been posted on the internet. Last one was from an ebay auction from an account that did not belong to the party trying to sell me the item.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Here's another that's currently trying to scam me after I posted a WTB earlier today. SF handle is Rwilli and I've just received a photoshopped pic of a rifle with someones ID if you'd like the pic Para?

So far he's not met my demands....

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
Here's another that's currently trying to scam me after I posted a WTB earlier today. SF handle is Rwilli and I've just received a photoshopped pic of a rifle with someones ID if you'd like the pic Para?

This is the kind of thing you should contact me about via email. What if this is a legitimate member? Email me at the address in my profile, please.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

This is the kind of thing you should contact me about via email. What if this is a legitimate member? Email me at the address in my profile, please.

Sent

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, yeah, this is another scam. Offering up a rifle- when DCFD4 was merely looking for a rifle stock- and offering a scarce rifle for pocket change.

I guess we're having an effect, because this is clumsy, and the thieving maggot's photoshop skills fucking suuuuuck. A squirrel could do a better job at fabricating an image.

The idiot's email address is gilslasershot@gmail.com

scammer gilslasershot@gmail.com scammer

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
So was member Rwilli the scammer or was the scammer passing himself off as Rwilli?

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It appears Rwilli has nothing at all to do with this.

So, this is the M.O. these days. Claiming to be some member or other. This is why you must confirm the identity of anyone contacting you. After they contact you, you must insist that they post in your thread- "Email sent" or something to that effect. If they don't do so, you should contact me at the email address in my profile.

This practice of insisting that they post in your thread, stops this shit cold.

As of March 22 of this year, all new memberships approved are lacking the permission to view profiles. This won't have an effect on the scammer assholes who already have a membership and can view your profile to get your email address, but it stops new scammers from getting to your email address if you refrain from putting your email address in the body of your post.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Para, I had the guy you posted about earlier contact me from two different email offering me an SKS. I deleted his attempts. One was Glock shot and the other he used the name you mentioned in a thread earlier.

M. Spector

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I sent you info on another a few days back. Don't know if you got it or not?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You sent me an email telling me you'll let me know how it turned out and then I heard nothing else. If they disappeared, that's fine.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I'm done buying and selling guns online.

Done. I'll pay too much locally from a real FFL, and you can all tell me how stupid I am for my poor business sense.

I firmly believe these assholes are betting on the fact that someone will want to brag about the deal they got when all is said and done, but the only thing that gets done, is you.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
And now, for a visit from the mysterious Michael Spector, who has a pistol he wishes to sell to a forum member. He's not a member of the forum (not really, but apparently he does have an account, so that he can see member email addresses), but he hangs around Classifieds and does his best to help out members- here, for instance: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...060075984#9060075984

What a great guy. Please take note of the name and the email address:

Subject: Glock 43x mos

Date: March 8, 2022 at 11:29:54 PM EST

To: (redacted)

Hey man,
I came across your WTB ad on sigforum.
I have a Glock 43x mos in excellent, new condition I'm willing to part with.
Never fired and has a holosun 507k x2 mounted. Overall condition is excellent.
It comes with box and 2 10 rd mags.
$600 shipped to you, let me know if we have a deal.
I've attached pictures.
Thanks.

Be on your toes at all times, gentlemen

He just responded this afternoon to my WTB ad so he's obviously sliming around here still.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post