SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Looking for a thin US made automatic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a thin US made automatic Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Please don’t flame me. I am not a knife guy so please bear with me.
I have carried some sort of knife since high school (yup even at school) never anything fancy or expensive. I found the Kershaw Leek maybe 20 years ago and have had 3 only because I lost the first, bought a 2nd, lost the 2nd, bought a 3rd, only to find the 2nd a month or so later. It is a great everyday carry for simple needs. I really like how simple and sleek it is but most importantly how thin it is and there are no rough spots that rub on my hand when putting my hand in my pocket.
The Leek is not an automatic but some speed assist spring or something like that. It always just works. I give it a little bit of oil on occasion and she is good as new.
LGS carries Microtech and Protech. The Microtechs are just downright slick but I do not want an out the front auto and I do not like the glass breaker it rubs my hand when I put my hand in my pocket.
The Protechs they have in stock have all been thick but I really like the feel and robustness of their autos. These have made me want an auto. No other reason because I like the feel of the push button auto better than the speed assist Kershaw even though I probably open the Kershaw just as quick as an auto.
Perusing Protechs site I found the Newport which the LGS has not had in stock but it is just a hair thicker than the Leek.
http://protechknives.com/product/3442-blu-newport/

Any other manufacturers I should be looking at? I like a very sleek and smooth design none of these wicked blade and handle angles.
Need to be under $300 for sure.
Must be made in the USA.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
The long-discontinued Kershaw Breakout was nice and thin. I enjoy my Kershaw Rogue but it's pretty thick.
For a moderately thin/sleek auto, checkout the Kershaw Launch 7. I think I paid $100 from KershawGuy.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got the Protech Newport back around Christmas. I really like it. It is a relatively small and compact knife. Action is good. Deep carry clip. Seems to be very good quality so far. I really like the size for every day carry whether clipping in the pocket of a pair of jeans or dropped in the pocket of a pair of dress pants.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
The long-discontinued Kershaw Breakout was nice and thin. I enjoy my Kershaw Rogue but it's pretty thick.
For a moderately thin/sleek auto, checkout the Kershaw Launch 7. I think I paid $100 from KershawGuy.

I had looked at some of the Launch series. The 7 is a bit more angled at the widest point of the blade and handle than I would like.
The 11 looks decent but I don’t like the open portion of the handle and they are both nearly 1/2” thick.

————————————————

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The Leek is one of Kershaw's most popular knives. There are hundreds of variants. You can even get a Leek w/ SIG logo.

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-s...shaw-knife-leek.html

If you like the Leek, a few other models to consider are the Kershaw Shallot. It's out of production, but it's the bigger brother to the Leek and true to its name, a Ken Onion design. Also:

Kershaw Dividend - similar in size to the Leek but blade tip is not as delicate

Kershaw Knockout - little bigger than the Leek w/ a deep carry clip

All the above have Speed Safe spring-assisted opening flipper design.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The Protech Godson is my preferred auto.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Look at the Piranha DNA I have one, well made, light and thin razor sharp blade. I don't carry it because there is no safety, but it sure is pretty!
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Piranha-DNA--2119

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
iron chef I am wanting a true push button auto.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
The Protech Godson is my preferred auto.

A touch thicker than I would like but may be end up what I get.
I wish they made one with the Jazz handle like they do The Godfather. Wow what a good looking knife but I think 4” is just too long.

quote:
Originally posted by p08:
Look at the Piranha DNA I have one, well made, light and thin razor sharp blade. I don't carry it because there is no safety, but it sure is pretty!
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Piranha-DNA--2119

Not bad. I like their dark green handles one.

————————————————

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
If you still want a rainbow Leek, another member posted in your WTB thread that he has one in mint condition.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
If you still want a rainbow Leek, another member posted in your WTB thread that he has one in mint condition.

And thankfully it is from a well respected member who I have done business with on multiple occasions.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I'm looking at getting one of these:

https://sogknives.com/sog-tac-au-compact-tanto/

Reviews say it's pretty thin, and it looks like it.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Mictotech LUDT is about 1/2" at the thick end and is a little over 5/16" at the thin end. It tapers, in other words and is very trim in the pocket for a knife with a 3.5" blade.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Look at Bear and Son cutlery Jacksonville Alabama.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Kershaw launch, lots of good stuff.
I have a launch 1 its big but it is bad to the bone.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I know we don't like Benchmade here because of their politics.... but...

https://knifenews.com/shot-day...-thinnest-knife-yet/

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post