SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Replacing scales?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing scales? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Anyone ever do it? I have a CRKT Hammond Cruiser that I have never been entirely happy with the scales and was thinking of changing them out, using the originals as templates. Any suggestions on materials, websites to check out, etc?

Posts: 12175 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13394 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
I love RC Bladeworks for scales.

https://www.rcbladeworks.com/

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you want to change about the scales?

Pretty sure it's a DIY. Not many moders work on $20 knives.

https://www.knifecenter.com/se...crkt-hammond-cruiser

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13394 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
What did you want to change about the scales?

I don’t like the feel of them and the edges are more squared off than I care for.

Turns out I misspoke, it’s not a Cruiser, the box it came in just has the model number of 6703 on the label. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll probably look into some micarta or G10 material.

Posts: 12175 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you modify the current scales on it to meet your needs?

Take the scales off and make templates so you can make new ones if your efforts don't meet your needs.

Then identify what areas you want to round off \ remove the square edges from. Maybe grip the knife and mark where your fingers sit. Then file or sand the edges round to meet your needs?

Seems you only want to modify the outside edges so you'll have the original insides to use as a template if you want to make new ones.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
That knife looks pretty strait forward to replace the scales. The screws have a counter bored holes so that may be the trickiest part. This site also has exotic wood scales at decent prices, Bell Exotic Wood

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Can you modify the current scales on it to meet your needs?

It isn’t just a matter of the edges being too square, as I say it the feel of the material, the tactile quality of the scales that doesn’t sort well with me. They’re too smooth, almost slippery.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
That knife looks pretty strait forward to replace the scales. The screws have a counter bored holes so that may be the trickiest part. This site also has exotic wood scales at decent prices, Bell Exotic Wood

I agree, I think it would be a simple matter of using the existing scales as templates, the screw holes being the trickiest part. That website you linked to has some nice product at very reasonable prices.

Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Only thing I'd add is to use a quality set of torx/screw drivers; I use Wiha drivers/bits.

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, just buy another knife. I know a knife modder and it's definitely an acquired skill.

Zytel is glass reinforced nylon, aka plastic.

Find another affordable knife with g10 and you'll be much happier.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post