SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Michigan Hearing On Knife Pre-emption Bill HB 5286
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Hearing On Knife Pre-emption Bill HB 5286 Login/Join 
Picture of eTripper
posted
Knife Rights’ Michigan Knife Law Preemption bill, HB 5286, the “Michigan Knife Rights Act,” was heard by the House Judiciary Committee today. Knife Rights’ Director of Legislative Affairs Todd Rathner testified in support of the bill. He was able to answer all the members’ questions. The Democrat minority Vice-Chair, Rep. David LaGrand, related a story about a knife possession case he defended as an attorney and then stated, “this is a good bill.” Knife Rights would also like to thank the ACLU of Michigan for their support for HB 5286. The committee is scheduled to vote on HB 5286 sometime this week. If you live, work or travel to Michigan AND have NOT YET done so, please use Knife Rights’ Legislative Action Center to ask Committee Members to vote YES on HB 5286: https://kniferights.org/resources/congressweb/#/34 DO IT TODAY and help us push this bill froward! Preemption prevents enforcement of existing local knife ordinances, and prohibits new ordinances, more restrictive than state law which only serve to confuse or entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within or through the state. In 2017 Knife Rights’ Michigan Switchblade Ban Repeal bill was enacted. HB 5286 would ensure that automatic knives are legal throughout Michigan. Knife Rights passed the nation’s first Knife Law Preemption bill in Arizona in 2010 and has since passed preemption bills in Alaska, Georgia, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah. and Wisconsin.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post