SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Refining the Kitchen cutlery design! LATEST PICS!,,,,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refining the Kitchen cutlery design! LATEST PICS!,,,, Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62799265@N02/h54u7u
https://www.flickr.com/gp/62799265@N02/3cd5k6

I think THIS is the direction I’m going for for the next run of Chefs cutters.

PICS ON LAST POST!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Can they be seen now? Frown

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Visible to me. Lookin good, too.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
really like this one.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I have an inexpensive Oneida chef's knife that has a very similar shape. I really like it, I'm sure yours will be better!

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't take this as anything but constructive criticism.

I don't like this design at all. I want all my mid to larger kitchen knives to sharpen all the way to the heel of the blade. Makes them easier to sharpen and useable for taking the pit out of an avacado.

I also think this design has too much sweep. In a proper Chefs rocking motion the rear of this knife would be much higher than necessary when cutting with the forward 1/3rd of the blade. Santukos don't have enough sweep this looks to have a bit too much.

Just my 2cents. Someone that cooks differently might have an exact opposite opinion equally valid. I hope it somehow helps..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
THIS is what I LOVE about this forum!! Honest, and straightforward opinions that are offered in a constructive fashion!! Thanks DJ, I’ll play with this! The way I look at it there is more than one way to” skin “ a cat!

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Aesthetically, I like the sweep. It's like an arc of a circle.

On the other hand, functionally, I see djpaintles' point. Because it's very much a perfect arc, there's not much straight edge near the belly.

But it sure looks pretty. More like art.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19575 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with DJ's assessment, and I'll say I also prefer a full flat grind for such a knife. Other than those things, it's remarkably similar to a design I've been working up in my own time, except mine is a drop-point about halfway between what you've got and a santoku. With that said, looks good. Big Grin

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
The Customer that is requesting it ( the set will consist of three knives) IS wanting something something as he states “different”. It should be. LOVE THESE COMMENTS!! Grind is flat, just not “full” to the spine.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's cool that it's part of an intended set. What are the other two that he's having you do?

Posts: 17045 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
He is wanting a “Chef, long slicer, and paring! Pics when I make them. DJ, If the knife was for Me it would not be as thick, and yes I would grind to the top of the spine. The individual that wants this knife has been known to take a hammer to the back of the spine to blow through the bones of goats that he dresses Eek. I cringe to think.........

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree that kitchen knives - especially chef's knives - shouldn't have choils and should be sharpened all the way.

I prefer handles with much less flare at the pinky end. That end of your hand is smaller when it grips a knife. The knife handle should match that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another thought for all to consider is Convex edges on Kitchen knives. Sybo if you make one for yourself a convex edge might be worth experimenting with and I'd like to hear if anyone else has used them and their thoughts.

I've been trying a couple on 240mm Gyuto style knives. One that I have came with a convexed edge and it seemed to have less food sticking on the sides of the knife than others. I've since then converted another to Convex and am beginning to learn towards the Convex since it seems to cut well and stick less. That's just my experience so far and may learn more as I keep experimenting. I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think too! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My kitchen knives are all convex. I agree, less good sticks.

I found this out accidentally. I bought and use a Ken Onion Work Sharp and it convexs the edge. I love how fast the sharpener is because our kitchen knives seems to get duller than I'd like them to <looks at my wife>, and the WS brings them back faster than my Spyderco sharpener does.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
This place is AWESOME!!!!! Thank you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Finished the large knife today. Sharp as a greased laser it is!! It feels soooo good in the hand also! I could “hear” the grin on my customers voice when I called him! Hope he likes it!

https://imgur.com/a/o1nFZ

https://imgur.com/a/MNsqG

https://imgur.com/a/7scvq

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks great, sybo! Smile

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I agree that kitchen knives - especially chef's knives - shouldn't have choils and should be sharpened all the way.

I prefer handles with much less flare at the pinky end. That end of your hand is smaller when it grips a knife. The knife handle should match that.

Late to reply...
I agree with jhe888 on all of the above. No choil and sharpened all the way on the edge. They can be sharpened on both sides of the edge as the traditional western chef's knife or right-hand or left-hand sharpened (chisel edge), depending on the individual.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post