SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    One knife pattern to rule them all.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One knife pattern to rule them all. Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
It's been 16 (almost 17) years since I got my first Benchmade Ares.
I've been obsessed since.
I don't know what it is about this knife.
Really when you look at it it has a lot of faults:
-Blade length to handle ratio isn't visually appealing.
-Fits my hand, yes, but it no guard to keep the hand from slipping onto the blade.
-Modified spear point isn't really too useful for most knife chores other than sticking it into flesh
-The heel of the spine is left exposed when the knife is folded, giving it a broken silhouette.

But still, there's something indescribable about the Ares that keeps me fascinated and interested in the knife. I have hundreds upon hundreds of knives, many have come into my collection but sold because I haven't found another pattern that can replace the Ares.

And the myriad variations that have been available. Maybe it's because--like relationships--it's the chase that is the most fun. But unlike many unhealthy relationships, I have yet to get tired of it after the conquest.

Here's my four EDC Ares. If you run into me, there's a 99% probability that one of these are in my pocket.

Top to bottom:
-An original 730SBT with ATS34 steel.
-A 732 with 154CM steel that was an exclusive batch made for Moteng North America--a sporting goods distributor.
-A heavily modified 732DTBT, one of 85 total made. It was in poor condition when I got it, stripped and etched the blade, reprofiled the edge, replaced the scales, screws, clip, and standoffs.
-A lightly modded 730 1303 that I got from a fellow member here. It was already used and sharpened, and the tan G10 had a small nick in it. I changed the screws to gold/bronze titanium that I flame anodized. The clip is a lightly ano'd titanium as well.

And the whole family.
I'm still missing a very rare 735 variant made for the California Fish and Game Wardens. I've only seen one owned by a fellow member at the BKC forum but another went on sale a month or so ago on ebay and I totally missed it. Sold for 200 bucks but I would've given triple that just to have it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt you know what you like! :-D

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked for years for the rosewood and carbon fiber bolstered version. My wife let me over pay to get it. I love that knife. If I was rich I would own multiples and that would be an EDC. Nice collection.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Impressive collection.

Bought my first Benchmade about 16 years ago as well, a 943 Osbourne. I like it because it's thin and carries easily. I've managed not to lose it after 16 years of EDC.

I picked up another 943 a few years later, but stopped at that point. I have a couple Griptillians which I use purely for utility since they are cheaper.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of Ares being produced when I got interested in Benchmades, but for some reason, I never bought one then. Now, the prices tend to be higher than I am willing to pay for clean examples.

I have to admire your persistence, Agony.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Funny, back when they were still in production I spent all my search time looking for the rare limited variants and prototypes. My thought was that I'd eventually get the regular production models later on. Sadly when the Ares was discontinued the supply dried up quickly and the prices went up almost as quickly.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I have one of the purple ones, always pissed at myself for getting it, as I liked the green handled one's better, but they all had the un-coated blade.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I found a third 730-1303 (tan, limited edition, like one of the four that I edc) in a number that matches some of my other limiteds, so I'll be selling the one I bought originally.

If anyone wants a tan one, holler at me.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I found an old beater Ares 735BT.
I had some custom scales made in black canvas micarta.
Etched and stripped the blade, blackened and aged the hardware. Then I re-did the edge geometry, removed the chips in the edge and then resharpened to a scalpel-sharp mirror finish.
Voila, a new Ares for the pocket.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
That looks cool!
The black micarta, etching and the aging are subtle, but add so much to it!

Looks like a grayscale photo but then realize it’s not.

Thanks for that

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Holy cow man, that's a lot of Benchmades!

Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Holy cow man, that's a lot of Benchmades!

Eek

And that's just the Ares. There are others.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Are the new scales thinner than the factory ones? They look good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nice collection!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Are the new scales thinner than the factory ones? They look good.

Yes, but not by much.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
What’s your next model to collect in a similar fashion?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
What’s your next model to collect in a similar fashion?

I'm not much of a collector as I am a hoarder. Nothing else really strikes my fancy, at least in regards to knives. The Ares is the only thing I've ever really obsessed about completing, although I do have a thing for Spyderco hawkbill knives. I may complete that collection sometime in the future.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I picked up this one-off variant a few months ago.
One of my grail Ares that I still don't have is the 'Warden' made for California Fish and Game officers. There's been a couple examples floating around the internet for a few years. However the examples I've seen were the green/black 735 version. This one is a 732 plain edge which in and of itself is a fairly rare knife as they were never put into regular production but rather made for Moteng Sporting distributors about 14 years ago and sold exclusively through their dealers. The number made isn't known.
I did some research on this 732 Warden, and after several emails and phone calls to BKC, they can only confirm that it was an individual order from a customer (presumably a CA game warden) through Moteng which was laser etched by BKC.
I'm still looking for a 735 Warden.

It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
My wife is a Warden for CDFW, it's called Fish and Wildlife now. I'm gonna have to ask her about this knife.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post